Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

'97 STS Blown headgaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Default '97 STS Blown headgaskets

I just bought my second STS, the first one has been a great car! I think this new one has a blown head gasket or cracked/warped head. Does anyone know if I can pull the heads off in the car or should I just bite the bullet and pull the engine? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Catfsh

Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by catfsh21
I just bought my second STS, the first one has been a great car! I think this new one has a blown head gasket or cracked/warped head. Does anyone know if I can pull the heads off in the car or should I just bite the bullet and pull the engine? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Catfsh

Until you KNOW for sure, I would not do either.
One can find out for sure with any of several tests.

our FAQ thread on the subject has a lot of info.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on a compression test, a coolant system pressure test and an exhaust gas test before I went any further. Do you know anything else I should try? Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Certified Members

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on a compression test, a coolant system pressure test and an exhaust gas test before I went any further. Do you know anything else I should try? Thanks again.
That should do it .. get back to us on results.

How is the transmission?
What is the mileage?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM

83000 miles, the tranny is smooth and crisp. The car overall is in very nice condition. The problem is overheating at highway speeds with no water leaks, new waterpump and thermostat, radiator,heater core and hoses ok. I'm real busy at work now but when I get it worked out I'll let you know how it went, Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

83000 miles, the tranny is smooth and crisp. The car overall is in very nice condition. The problem is overheating at highway speeds with no water leaks, new waterpump and thermostat, radiator,heater core and hoses ok. I'm real busy at work now but when I get it worked out I'll let you know how it went, Thanks

does it gurgle when you stop after an overheat or even a highway high speed drive ?

does the bottom RAD hose have the internal metal spring that keeps it from collapsing under high volume?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Try the tests suggested. I was actually unable to get a positive result from any of those tests for both of mine. Tried for a long time but it just didnt want to fail the motor. After some time I concluded it had to be the headgaskets and it was. Did them and no problems since. If you do find the gaskets to fail the engine has to come out the bottom if you want to do the headgaskets. Can't timecert the block with the engine in.