Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

2000 Cadillac DTS Northstar aluminum engine headgasket failure leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Default Head gasket

Originally Posted by caddydaddyuk
Thanks for the advice, stomper.
I tried what you suggested today, drove 6 miles at speed of 60, then checked for coolant.
No sign of coolant inside the car
No leaks in under the hood
No leaks under the car

So I suppose this could be the ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.

I will try to do the compression test, don't know how, but will read the service manual.
A friend has the tester.

Any advice on the how to do the test.
The first time it overheated I took the car to a service center and they did the exhaust gas in coolant test, they told me that there were gas in coolant, I did not believe them.

But may be they were right.
Check if you have water in the oil, or oil on the water,mainly the bolts of the piston head are the ones that get loose,and that is a big problem, any way the gasket is probably ok, you have to chech the oil,if you see water then you have head problem but if you do not see water can be your pum or other problem, get a digital thermometer and with the ingine runing check each head temp and al;so the radiator.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks for that.

I have checked all I know about cars, there is no water in engine oil; there is no oil in coolant.
there is coolant anywhere near water pump or any other place.
I know about the problem with head bolts, a Cadillac service advisor told me, the tread goes.

Is there any other checks I can do.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that.

I have checked all I know about cars, there is no water in engine oil; there is no oil in coolant.
there is coolant anywhere near water pump or any other place.
I know about the problem with head bolts, a Cadillac service advisor told me, the tread goes.

Is there any other checks I can do.
we have a FAQ thread that shows you how to test and check the threads ...

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Default Thermostat

Check your thermostat and water pump,if they are working properly star the car and check the tail pipe for steam,if you notice steam coming out from the pipe then you have head problem, you can try those chenicals in the market but eventually you have to face reality and tha is fixing the engine or getting a good used one.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM

yes there is steam coming out of the pipes at the back, not much but enough.

As I said before the gas test of the coolant showed this and I think this is what happens:

When driving there is a build up of exhuast gases in the coolant and this causes the coolant to leak through the overflow pipe, that is why I had to add 6 pints after 30 miles drive.
This could also be why temp gauge goes up and then back down to normal.

I have now sold the car and do not have it anymore, I wish I new the problem with the coolant before I bought this car, I lost big money on it.

I still love my Cadillacs though and I will have to work on my 68 Fleetwood and get that running.

Thanks for your help I hope others read this and look for these problems before buying cars.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

How much is the cost of the exhaust gas in coolant test in EU ?

Again, for those that havent seen it, we have a detailed thread that covers the infamous Northstar engine headgaskets, and the need to change out the coolant not every 10 years, not every 5 years, but every 2 years.
We believe that the 5 year coolant change only applies once, counted from the day of manufacture. After that, TWO YEARS.
Read our FAQ on the subject !

But wait ! Did I say the NorthStar engines?
In reality, this problem is been encountered in many, many ALUMINUM engine models of every maker, American, EU, Asian. And all the makers keep sweeping the issue under the carpet.

yes there is steam coming out of the pipes at the back, not much but enough.

As I said before the gas test of the coolant showed this and I think this is what happens:

When driving there is a build up of exhaust gases in the coolant and this causes the coolant to leak through the overflow pipe, that is why I had to add 6 pints after 30 miles drive.
This could also be why temp gauge goes up and then back down to normal.

I have now sold the car and do not have it anymore, I wish I new the problem with the coolant before I bought this car, I lost big money on it.

I still love my Cadillacs though and I will have to work on my 68 Fleetwood and get that running.

Thanks for your help I hope others read this and look for these problems before buying cars.