Replacing HId headlights with LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Angry Replacing HId headlights with LED

I own a 2006 Cadillac DTS. One HID light is inop. I decided to go with LED as a replacement as they are more reliable however, the company that sent the replacement bulbs (Headlight Experts) were rude, condescending and were not interested in helping at all, they provided no diagrams, and when I called they expected me to understand all the component Jargon. I have never dealt with HID before and understand they can be hazardous. "Headlight Experts" sent me a kit that was supposedly "plug and play" however, they then told me I needed a multimeter to test positive and negative wires but could not tell me which wires I needed to test. …..Has anyone done this before? .

Old 07-01-2023, 05:43 PM

I believe your vehicle has D1S HID bulbs. There are plenty of aftermarket replacement for these which will function without throwing codes, however the biggest issue is the change in pattern. I have a 2019 CTS with D3S bulbs and I tried a few different LED bulbs. While all of the replacement produced more overall light, because they didn't focus in the central hotspot of the pattern, it took away from my long-distance illumination. This combined with the additional foreground lighting significantly REDUCED how far I could see even though I had more light.

Your best bet would be to replace the HID bulbs with a high quality set of HID bulbs such as Osram CBB. This is what I ran for a few months until I bit the bullet, cut open the headlights and swapped in a purpose-built NHK Bi-LED projector. (a HIGHLY custom project not for the faint of heart)

LED bulb has a dimmer hot-spot which results in a reduction in long-range throw.