no longer floats like a butterfly

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default no longer floats like a butterfly

But it sure sticks...

Finally - the new suspension is up and running on the Allante...

Arnott struts all the way around... these are passive, the stocks were active... and the rears leaking. The new struts have plugs and bypasses for the sensors - so no codes on the computer.

New strut mounts, new sway bar links everywhere, new bushings.

I have a whole new suspension.

What a difference. The car definitely had the 'caddy float'. No longer - the first trip over railroad tracks told me the whole story - the car now sticks. Now it feels like a pretty tight Mercedes roadster (and looks ever so much better).

Stop hard - the car snuggles down to the road surface - no dip, no sway...

Sharp turns are a joy, slowing down - not much - take it hard and the worse thing I felt was a little 4-wheel drift - but all wheels down, and the body roll that was so apparent before is now a thing of the past - the car took the corner flat. Pretty good figuring that the Northstar's center of gravity has to be pretty high up with the overhead cams.

Finally - A beautiful Italian body, good ol' American muscle, and as close to German handling as I can probably get. Sort of like the old joke of French chefs, Italian lovers and German mechanics.

And all for not much more than the cost of one GM stock front strut (the right one - for some reason the left one is cheaper)

Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: no longer floats like a butterfly

Why keep it original when you can make it much better. Especially because this is no collector car. You have done a great job Fox.

G.A.R.Y.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

But it sure sticks...

Finally - the new suspension is up and running on the Allante...

Arnott struts all the way around... these are passive, the stocks were active... and the rears leaking. The new struts have plugs and bypasses for the sensors - so no codes on the computer.

New strut mounts, new sway bar links everywhere, new bushings.

I have a whole new suspension.

What a difference. The car definitely had the 'caddy float'. No longer - the first trip over railroad tracks told me the whole story - the car now sticks. Now it feels like a pretty tight Mercedes roadster (and looks ever so much better).

Stop hard - the car snuggles down to the road surface - no dip, no sway...

Sharp turns are a joy, slowing down - not much - take it hard and the worse thing I felt was a little 4-wheel drift - but all wheels down, and the body roll that was so apparent before is now a thing of the past - the car took the corner flat. Pretty good figuring that the Northstar's center of gravity has to be pretty high up with the overhead cams.

Finally - A beautiful Italian body, good ol' American muscle, and as close to German handling as I can probably get. Sort of like the old joke of French chefs, Italian lovers and German mechanics.

And all for not much more than the cost of one GM stock front strut (the right one - for some reason the left one is cheaper)

Fox,

the struts we know, but the bushings .. what was it you had done there?
something tells me, when it comes to them, stock she aint anymore.

I think it is time you gave us some film clips on a 0-60 run before the winter takes hold,
dont you think?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

Stomper -
I think that they replaced the bushings that rotate with standard stock rubber - no squeaks - and the ones that compress with poly - so I get that extra bit of bite...

Stealth (whoops forgot this the first time around... - Stomper would beat me in the 4x4 by just going cross country...)
Heck - the Crest beckons - this thing sticks like glue, with the new wider tires, and the wonderful work they did on the suspension - I think I could take you...

Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

Stomper -
I think that they replaced the bushings that rotate with standard stock rubber - no squeaks - and the ones that compress with poly - so I get that extra bit of bite...

Stealth (whoops forgot this the first time around... - Stomper would beat me in the 4x4 by just going cross country...)
Heck - the Crest beckons - this thing sticks like glue, with the new wider tires, and the wonderful work they did on the suspension - I think I could take you...
Fox,

How confident are you? enough to give up the time handicap ? Is the key phrase here "I Think" ... ?

The suspension mods are a sure and excellent step on the challenge as those will do more for you than horse power, at the Crest offshot. I loaded some clips of Crest running at the other thread .. have you viewed them? HP is always nice, as long as you know when to use it all and when to hold back.

Do you have nerves of steel and icy emotions (no fear) ?