GM Cadillac technology & misc modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Default GM Cadillac technology & misc modifications

I'd be interested in discussing the spread of GM technology worldwide and particularly into the premium Euro makes. It seems to be well-kept secret so may not be a robust enough topic.

Also, seeing the K&N ad flashing makes me wonder:

- What can actually be done to an SRX, or any other Cad, that would provide meaningful improvements in horsepower? Does K&N make rebreathers for Cadillacs?!

- How wild can one go with wheel and tire diameters on any Cadillac [but especially an SRX]? What are the trade offs?

- Speaking of tires, do Michelins suck or is it just me? Goodyears, please.

- The other day some show-off had a CTS-V style grill on his SRX. My brother-in-law, the parts manager at a Cad dealer, said they do not substitute because the SRX grill is too wide. Is he correct? Is someone supplying faux CTS-V grills somewhere to fit SRXs?

- What other customizing opportunities present themselves? How about legacy Cad horns, three of them. What a gorgeous noise. You can still order them from the dealer but may have to walk them through it. Believe with the SRX, had to replace one horn and add the third to get the correct chord. Forget now but believe the horns were no longer offered after 1995. I have them on both the Avalanche and SRX. I started this tradition with my '97 Eldo Touring Coupe. I was so disappointed it only had two horns. Huber Cadillac charged me $200 to replace one horn and devise a custom holder for the third.

- Who has the most obnoxious Cad-referential personalized license plates?

Let's see, what else:

I recently spotted a conflicted idiot with an M series Benz cowering behind brush bars and taillight grills. Would an SRX better carry that look? Remember, back in the good old days DeVilles and Eldos sported longhorns.

===============

Moderator edit:
title & move it to a useful section

Old 05-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Forum Idea

Furthermore, I've had my SRX up to 130 MPH, far from tapped out, yet rapid. With all respect to the terrifying Iowa State Troopers patrolling local highways, is anyone else out there busy burying their foot in the accelerator?

Also, who makes the best detector on the market right now?

Old 05-05-2006, 01:02 PM

Iowavette, you have a lot on your mind, and it's great to hear it on the forum.

As far as "spreading" GM technology worldwide via the forum, I don't think the forum has enough technical expertise to do so. Besides, it's easier to buy a GM vehicle, take it apart, and reverse engineer it, but who says that a GM vehicle is lightyears ahead in technology than a Toyota or a Hyundai? Reverse engineering is one thing, attempting to manufacture at a sustainable and profitable, world class level is another thing that isn't easily duplicated (I work in a tier 2 supplier to GM).

You know, K&N's are great. I've always wondered why OEM's didn't just put them into their cars, but I can figure 2 reasons off the bat. 1, many OEM's don't want the extra under-hood noise (often conveying lack of engine refinement, especially in a caddy). 2, there have been plenty of non-car savy people who have driven into big rain puddles where water gets sucked up into their engine, therefore destroying it, so I bet the lawyers at the OEM's don't want another headache. Note: I've met the owner of K&N at my gym, and he runs in the Silver State Classic in Nevada every so often.

So, Horsepower and Torque?? Iowavette, I have a friend who force induces all his vehicles. He's supercharged his Corvettes, PT Cruiser and his SRX. I'll have to ask him where he had it done, AND if it was smog legal. Supercharging usually costs $5k to $0k depending on your vehicle. For a Vette, it's about $8k, for a Viper it's around $18k, for a Mustang, around $5k ( I think). Supercharging will still keep relatively good gas mileage on your car too.

As far as wheel diameter, you're probably best off asking a tire shop, or doing a bunch of measurements and calculations (entirely possible).

Who knows, maybe that SRX had a custom grille made up.

I use my horn probably once every two years. Not worth a change for me.

I haven't thought of any good license plates for my EXT yet, but here is my license plate for my Twin Turbo Z06 Corvette: NOTSPDN

Old 05-05-2006, 07:13 PM

NOTSPDN, huh? That's good. You know there are others. The Z06 could use one but nothing suitable has yet to come to mind.

So, if I add a K&N to the Cad, one must avoid puddles? That's my foul-weather car. Believe I'll talk to my brother-in-law at Edwards Archer Cadillac. He's the parts manager and used to be a car guy. I may not like it, but he'll have an opinion. Do they add that much noise under the hood? That might be slick. The SRX is slightly anemic sounding compared to the Eldo. Maybe it's refinement but I like to hear some muscle.

I work for a GM supplier as well, but it's a stretch - railroad. The discounts really come in handy.

This is a quiet forum. My favorite so far is the Avalanche site.

More later.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM

One must avoid large puddles that may possibly put water in your intake. Little puddles and rain should be no problem, but when you live in places that get flooded, and encounter "puddles" the 12+ inches deep, then you'll have to restrain yourself. Some people have no idea that water in the engine is bad, so they plow right through, just to learn that fact a little too late. Even with the factory intake, if you plowed through deep water, you'll kill the engine.

130 in an SRX is moving. I could only say 150 unofficially in the Vette. I get too chicken to go much faster, knowing what could happen.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:13 PM

If you really want to make it a little louder you can always remove that silencer thing from the intake duct and plug the hole.

I wouldn't use an oiled air filter in a car with a MAF sensor. The oils will eventually coat the sensor and the engine will start running crappy. Then you'll have to replace the sensor.

What I would do is get a custom exhaust. Then also take the throttle body to a machine shop to get it bored out to 80mm.

Nothing can be done with the exhaust manifolds... although they are the cause for the loss of about 30hp

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 PM

What if u cut of the cataliyst converter? i bet that would make it really loud. you think some old caddys need the back pressure off it, or is it only for emmisions?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

Why is there little to no info regarding getting Northstar to the same performace levels as the 4.6 ford cobra engine? Has anyone tried to alter cam timing?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 AM

It seems like the current fashion fad is to put the 22-24" chrome wheels on Cadillacs, the Las Vegas ghetto look. That look has pretty much come and gonehere in CA. The new trend are satin aluminum & black rims. My neighbor has a nice MB CLS550 painted flat black, with flat black alloys.

I too, am not a fan of the K&N hype. When researching performance products for my Chevy Duramax diesel pickup, good old K&N was loudly touting their filter systems. After reading a couple of actual research tests done on various "CAI", "high-performance" systems, both studies concluded that the stock GM airfilter was the most efficient way to go. Contrary to their advertising, K&N is not necessarily a panacea to mysteriously "free" horsepower. Subnote: if K&N filters really are the best choice, why don't manufacturers use them, seeing how automakers are in an all out horsepower / efficiency race...

I see a lot of people fall victim to advertised hype, trying to buy there way to a faster car, when the best modification you can do is send yourself to performance driving school.