Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

'95 STS gas tank fill tube and vent line

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Default '95 STS gas tank fill tube and vent line

Whenever I fill my gas tank to the brim I get asmell of gas when the car is parked...once the gas in the tank is even slightly lower the smell disappears. I took a look underneath the car and noticed that where the large gas tankfill tube connects to a rubber connecting tube (with a gear clamp) there is dampness (gas of course).... there is also another tube next to it which I assume is a vent line...I think one of them is not tight at the rubber connecting tube and is leaking gas. Is this a common problem?
Can someone tell me how the system works when you over fill your gas tank where does the excess fuel drain to? Made it is working the way it should...just drains out an over fill tube.I live in Canada so at this time of year the outdoor temperature is well below freezing,when the car is parked inthe drive way the sun beats down it and I thought the gas may expand in the tank due to the rising temperature and cause it leak out the overflow tube...is this possible?. I have never had this problem before.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: '95 STS gas tank fill tube and vent line

Hey ruf: All you can do is try and get to the hose clamps and tighten them up. Your problem should disappear. The overflo tube should drain away any excess gas and then be back to the vent mode. The leak could also be from the sender unit gasket. A little harder to get at but do the simple things first.