Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

1991 Seville -- Your Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Default 1991 Seville -- Your Advice?

I have located near my home a nice 1991 Seville with 90K miles. The car is clean and appears to have been well cared for. I am looking for a car I could enjoy driving on the weekends -- Would like to find a car with power, lots of comfort, smooth ride, and good handling. Can you tell me about this car? What are the strengths? Weaknesses?

The other car I am considering is an early 90's Allante, but I am not sure about these cars.
For the money, the Seville is more in my price range. How would it compare to an Allante for my use (weekend driver, comfort, power, style)?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Certified Members

im an sts guy anyway, but for style comfort, etc.......STS all the way. now, is the car being sold from a private owner, new car, or used car store? and $$$$?
what state are you in? would it be possible to get any service history on the car? or, talk to the last owner..... you want to find out how often the coolant was changed. for sure, drive the car.GOOD. watch gauges and check how she shifts..... whats oil look like? look at bottom of oil cap, hows it? ...... 90k miles is low miles, and if maintained properly should be a GREAT car for you.................. oh, look under car for any leakage..... get back to the forum, let us know how you make out....
rickyd

Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM

I had a 91 SLS myself. Its a very nice car. The 4.9 it comes with is a beautiful engine.
91 though is a bit old.

You havent mentioned for how much the asking is.
And also you havent said where it is that you live. You did say that its near you. But I cant see any where as to where you reside.
Not tryin to be nosy, but it does make a difference as to what kind of condition an older vehicle may be in depending on the area/environment that its resided.

I dont recall the 91 having any particular quirks. But at that age, rubber plastics and what nots, that are every where, do become brittle.
But again, it all depends on the enviroment.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM

How much are they asking? I wouldn't pay too much for the car if it isn't an STS, as the STS has so much more to offer then the basic Seville. Also, if you are looking for good handling, you will want to find an STS as they have the FE2 beefed up suspension. If power/acceleration is your thing, the STS also has a lower final drive ratio for better acceleration.

Anyways, good suggestions from the other members. Additionally, some things I would check are the rear door outside window rubbers at the lower corners for shrinkage. When these shrink they cause excess wind noise which passengers (mine anyway) complain about on the highway. Also check out all the electricals, especially the headlight switch and twilight sentinel operation. If the car has the BOSE system, listen to all the speakers for any hissing, and try out the CD player if so equipped. Areas prone to rust are the underside of the hood and trunk lip, and at the lower cowl beneath the rear lower part of the front fender. If the car has been garaged or in a dry climate its whole life, this shouldn't be a concern.