Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Heater Core Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Default Heater Core Question

Hey guy's, new here to the forum and just purchased a 96 Deville last January. No problems with the car really but as the weather is getting a little bit nicer here in Chicago I have been looking under the hood a bit more. I noticed black duct tape on the firewall. Pealed it back a bit and discovered a rectangular cut out and broken pieces of plastic. Looking more in the area I see exposed insulation and more cracks in the cover. I am only assuming someone performed a half @$$ repair at some point but can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a cover where the tape was or did someone make the cut intentionally? Thanks! (pic attached)

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Heater Core Question

ORIGINAL: PAULYSS

Hey guy's, new here to the forum and just purchased a 96 Deville last January. No problems with the car really but as the weather is getting a little bit nicer here in Chicago I have been looking under the hood a bit more. I noticed black duct tape on the firewall. Pealed it back a bit and discovered a rectangular cut out and broken pieces of plastic. Looking more in the area I see exposed insulation and more cracks in the cover. I am only assuming someone performed a half @$$ repair at some point but can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a cover where the tape was or did someone make the cut intentionally? Thanks! (pic attached)
Without even knowing the model., I can tell you that Cadillac doesnt do that.
You are exactly 100% correct on the half @$$ repair ! Duct tape doesnt belong in any car,
much less a Cadillac.

The cover is missing.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM

NO WAY that looks ghetto. Some one did a half fast job.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Agreed, and now I noticed a little bit of a leak from that area. The exposed insulation is at the bottom is saturated. And a few drips Ive noticed on occasion in the garage are coolant. Its pretty slow though.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

There is an insulator that covers evaporator housing.It is designed to be cut and removed during evaporator replacement. the re-installed. It is somewhat flexible when new and will become brittle as it ages. There is a rectangular hole in metal evaporator housing where blower power module used to be located on earlier models. At one time a cover was mounted outside insulator where module was located, later the hole was removed from insulator and insulator became the cover. As cover deteriates hole is exposed. Cover for hole should be still availible from dealer approx 30.00