Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

2001 Seville SLS overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Question 2001 Seville SLS overheating

Hello,

Still new here so don't beak if this is a re-post.

I have this problem with my 2001 SLS when I WOT, and travel at high speed, the temperature gauge moves about 2-3 cm to the hot side. After I reduce speed and RPM's, the gauge slowly moves back to the middle. Then if I quickly accelerate again It moves towards the hot side again. I'm not overly worried about the issue, but just inquiring in case this could potentially be an early symptom of a big issue. I considered air in my cooling system somewhere, but my heat blows hot, and the A/c works great.

Has anyone else experienced this problem first hand? Second hand? Maybe someone can link me to a thread where this has already been discussed? Please someone, shed some light on this potential issue I have.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

well what have you done as far as double checking things? I.E. coolant level and last time coolant was changed or system flushed. If its been awhile then it might be a good time to look at those things. I dont think you have a big issue, the gage should sit at the 12'oclock position and usually creep past that point either when the cars has been idling for long periods, or if its Hot outside and your doing lots of stop and go driving in town. Also usually if its hot outside and you pass someone the needle may creep past the 12 o'clock spot. You may have an issue with the catalytic convertor possibly starting to get clogged up due to these engines having issues with carbon build up. Check a few things out and see what you come up with.