Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH

ORIGINAL: 99STSGUY

but its weird because i read somehwere once that the "sts chassis is sensitive to harmonic frequencies" because when i re balance the wheelslike every couplemonths it gets better but still there. Maybe it just the type of rims cadillac used. I also heard that having the wheels "road forced" will show any irregularaties if any..

*excuse spelling please*
waht does road forced mean?.... is that some type of balancing? as if they were on the road? if heard of that, but never tryed it.
rick

Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 AM

yes exactly, its a very detailed balancing. i havent had it done either because only a few dealers/ tire shops have the machine,but its suppose to be a little more pricer than regular balancing but yea it suppose to show up on a screen the imperfections in the tire or rims. it wil tell you if the tire is warped or rim is slightly bent etc.. and if there is problem it will tell which tire is causing it. Check this out... http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

Mike

Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 AM

yes exactly, its a very detailed balancing. i havent had it done either because only a few dealers/ tire shops have the machine,but its suppose to be a little more pricer than regular balancing but yea it suppose to show up on a screen the imperfections in the tire or rims. it wil tell you if the tire is warped or rim is slightly bent etc.. and if there is problem it will tell which tire is causing it. Check this out... http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

Mike
yes that is true road force will let u know if the tire is out of round, bad or bent rim. if neither of those are the case the tech can break the bead on the tire and turn it and fix the problem but thats only if the road force will come out less than 17 pounds. i work at goodyear and we do this all the time.thats about the machine that we have in the store i work and we have that exact machine in another store.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:00 PM

OK so I've had new rotors on all 4. New tires (Goodyear Assurance) since Sept. Balanced several times over! New right rear wheel.

Have any of you guys had your wheels spun "on the car"??? I've had this done and it really helps pin point the area of trouble! Mine has been the right rear. I changed the wheel and the tire and damn if it still doesn't exist!

The rotors are bolt on right??? Coud there be a chance that there is a defect in the hub assembly?? Enough to cause this problem? Like a bad bearing? Any thoughts there?

Would be great to get this resolved. OK everyone, let us know if you have a break through!

hdryder05@hotmail.com

Thanks, Kevin

Old 12-20-2008, 06:15 PM

have ur tires road force some call it match balance that is the first thing u can do it will solve most of the vibration

Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: santanerox3

have ur tires road force some call it match balance that is the first thing u can do it will solve most of the vibration
Did that once and the serviceman found no problems the RF could detect. Weird eh? Kevin

Old 12-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Yea this car is jus a little weird haha

Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: hdryder05

ORIGINAL: santanerox3

Did that once and the serviceman found no problems the RF could detect. Weird eh? Kevin
he should've put the ones that road forced the best in the front. did he do that?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM

HOLY Sh** rickyd, i have the EXACT! same problem with my 99 STS. I have done the same as everyone on here....Mulitple tires....numerous Balances!! rotations etc!!!! and nothing. You are 100% right Rick, its everything you described i thought same thing "you know i might add that it seems more like a vibration, in that if it were front end problem i shouldfeel it in the steering wheel, and if problem were rear i should feel it in the seat......" i cant figure that either and how when you accerlate it gets worse than "seems" to go away when you let off. I have had car 3 years now and been searching for an answer ever since! Will be keeping my eye on this post.
As far as the vib worsening when it's under accelation, that could be something in the drive line? I know in mine being a front wheel drive, they have told me that could be some of the cause. Runout in one of the drive shafts.

NOW, here's a good one boys and girls. It's been 30 below with the wind last week and the shake is MUCH less,(almost non existant) than it is when it's 30 above. Anyone have a clue why this is?

As I have stated in other posts, we have the vib down to the right rear wheel thanks to a guy spinning the wheels on the car itself. He is going to re-look at things after the 1st. This is the thrid rear right tire put on the car in the past 5 mo. Wheel is trued and checked.

Any possibility the hub/bearing could be bad? Runout there?

Keep us posted please!! Thanks for all input and ideas too!

Greatfully, Kevin

Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 AM

So talking with yet another wheel/tire/front end guy, he noted that 00-06 buick luxury models had this problem and most were caused by the tiniest of tiny loose tie rod ends. Said they would show their true colors from 65-90mph. Said something about some of the parts being the same so he is going to check it out. He also talked about drive shavt runout. This being, of course, only on front wheel drive models. For the rear wheel drive models he thought about a possible bent axle or rear axle runout. Anyone have any comments on these ideas??

Quick Reply: Wheel shake/shimmy over 63 MPH