Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

Suspension problems STS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Default Suspension problems STS?

It seems like my 2003 STS with 41,000 easy miles has started riding like a truck. I don't recall how long this has been going on, but I first noticed it shortly before or sometime after my last service which included an oil change and tire rotation 3 months ago. I did receive a "service suspension system" or similar message a year or so ago, but took no action because the ride seemed normal.
Pushing down on the bumpers with force seems to produce a normal response, warm tire pressure is currently 34psi all around, and the car tracks straight.....just bumpy as hell on the road. There are no unusual sounds. I have pulled and cleared the codes several times mainly to squelch the "service engine soon" light. There are currently no codes.
My brother-in-law's 1998 STS with 70K miles and no suspension work still rides like a dream.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM

1998 Seville STS
Wavy driving; loose feel; struts gone bad
"Service Suspension System"
Purchased the Arnott McPherson Struts with dummy sensors $299 free shipping
Ride is dramatic improvement
Still the DIC message "Service Suspension System"

Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Not to go off topic with your question/s. Mine is a 1994 and I would get the Service Suspension System also. When I checked the codes after learning how to do this.....OFF/RED buttons I got a crap load of codes. Funny thing is, when I turned the car off and restarted it the Service Suspension System display vanished. I'm not even sure if I got a question here or not.......but I guess I'm going to ask now since this is all new to me (the car; just purchased it). Did I just reset the Suspension code when I went through the procedure of displaying codes; also, alot of the codes had the word "HISTORY" after them, what does this mean; and finally......I got a display of "PCM?" What is this???
Sorry, I didn't mean to ask questions on my vehicle and not even answer yours. I do not have an answer. All these displays are new to me, just got the car this week. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just continue off of yours on somewhat of the same topic.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 AM

Ok, scratch that one.........the "Service Ride Control" never did reset as I thought it did. I still do have a crap load of codes though. As I said, this car I just purchased and is new to me with all these displays and codes. I will do a search on here along with reading and see if I can come up with answers on how to troubleshoot etc.
thnx.!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by funbunch
Purchased the Arnott McPherson Struts with dummy sensors $299 free shipping
Ride is dramatic improvement
Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:40 AM

MC pherson struts are really very reliable and they'd be running all the way it your road for a long period of time as compared with other ones.