Suspension sponsored by Arnott Inc. Discuss anything suspension related within.

need serious help with fluid leakage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Default need serious help with fluid leakage

i went outside and looked at my car and notice a good amount of fluid coming out of the inner rear tire. I thought oh ok i got a busted wheel cylinder. i took off the drum and the cylinder wasent wet. the boots looked fine and was dry around them. Then i noticed it dosent get wet untill half way down where the axle connects to the drum assembly. the fluid looks like oil and is pretty thick. and my brake fluid isnt low. the corner of my axle looks wet, about 1 inch long. this sounds like my axle is leaking dosent it? but i didnt think there was much fluid in the axle part, just the differential pumpkin. this is my only car and i dont want to burn up the differential so its parked right now so any input would REALLY be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: need serious help with fluid leakage

It could be an axle seal leaking where it goes into the tube, have you checked the fluid level of rear diff?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 PM

no i havent checked it yet. how do i check it? if the fluid is low then ill have to take the diff cover off and pop out the c-lcip and take the axle out right? i dont have to mess with the preload or crush sleeve or any of that stuff right?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

To check, remove pipe plug from right side of diff, fluild should be level with bottom of hole if full. To remove axle: Remove cover. There will be a 5/16 headed bolt on carrier holding cross shaft, remove it. Slide shaft out of carrier. With shaft out push axle in c clip should fall out. Remove axle.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

no i havent checked it yet. how do i check it? if the fluid is low then ill have to take the diff cover off and pop out the c-lcip and take the axle out right? i dont have to mess with the preload or crush sleeve or any of that stuff right?
what kind of car are we discussing ?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 AM

its a 1994 fleetwood RWD. i have to jack up the rear end to get to the plug, is that going to offset my reading on the fluid level? once i get the axle out, whats that tool called that i use to punch out the seal? am i crazy to try this myself?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

It will be a lot easier on a hoist. Can't you go to a local shop and ask then to check your rear diff fluid level. They can't charge that much to do it.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM

i found the bolt and stuck my finger as far as i can, but i didnt feel any fluid. if i drive it somewhere arent i going to burn up the diff if there isnt any fluid? that bolt on the side where i checked my fluid, is that where i add the fluid as well?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM

also are there any bearings that ill have to deal with as well as the seal?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yes, you added fluid using same hole. Axle bearing is behind seal. check condition of section of shaft were bearing rides.Minor wear and discoloration is normal. There should not be any grooving or pitting, if either is present you will need new bearing and axle or special bearing called an "axle saver", Seal can be removed with dent puller,long pry bar or c clip end of axle. Slide hammer with bearing remover and bearing installer required to replace bearing.

Quick Reply: need serious help with fluid leakage