Street and Strip Made a trip down the dragstrip or around a road course recently? Maybe a dash from a stop light? Tell us about it here!

Fox and Donna with the Car Talk guys, Tom and Ray ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Fox and Donna with the Car Talk guys, Tom and Ray ...

ha - I laugh at your 400 foot drop offs - and you have a whole 12 feet to work with - i have been on the old Angeles Crest - you haven't seen nothing yet...

Independence pass is one of the highest paved roads in the united states - with 1000 foot drops... hairpins you can only dream off, and then there is the view...

Don't worry, I can out accelerate you - out turn you - and well, anything else you want to see if I can out (you fill in the blank) do you?

and, if the mystical Z06 shows up - well, I just guess we will see who flinches first...

Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

ha - I laugh at your 400 foot drop offs - and you have a whole 12 feet to work with - i have been on the old Angeles Crest - you haven't seen nothing yet...

Independence pass is one of the highest paved roads in the united states - with 1000 foot drops... hairpins you can only dream off, and then there is the view...

Don't worry, I can out accelerate you - out turn you - and well, anything else you want to see if I can out (you fill in the blank) do you?

and, if the mystical Z06 shows up - well, I just guess we will see who flinches first...

fox,
yes, of course i know you been ON the Angeles Crest -- but - - [sm=Flahssssss.gif]
we were talking about driving, racing .. no?

hey .. looky there .. they even have safety railings on that Indepence road .. aint that nice !
1,000 feet? what is your point? the 1,000 ft kills you more dead?
lets see .. fall 400ft vs fall 1,000ft .. oh i get it ... less pieces left to pickup and to bury?
you got me there! [sm=chairshot.gif]

hey .. looky here, nice road .. ohhhh nooo nooo NOOOOOOOO !
where are the safety railings? just a little hump of dirt? u gotta to be kidding .. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

much better, a rock wall to reshape your wheels .. cant wait! Assuming your car dont jump thw little wall? [sm=roll.gif]

ok there is the destination .. if you make it that far. [sm=teetertooter.gif]

http://www.multimedialibrary.com/camping/San_Gabriels/index.asp
looky here .. how is your brakes? your reflexes? [sm=lildevil.gif]

[quote]rock chute, where material comes down year-round,” said Caltrans superintendent Armand Silva. The 2006 landslides occurred about a mile west of Vincent Gap, Silva said, and earlier landslides in 2005 happened sporadically for 10 miles along Highway 2 from that point to Islip Saddle.{/quote]

what was that about 60 mph and acceleration? [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

hey, you can alwasy go for swim after the car plunge?

fox, you come to the right place to enhance you road knowledge.
that in n out is sounding better all the time.

Gary, bring your '93 Allante .. keep the Z06 under the tent.
it aint built for this challenge. besides, they scratch sooo easy.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Certified Members

I have got you on this - Stealth...

Independences has lakes to swim in -

hairpin turns...

and no guard rails...

And it won't be long until you and that 4100 are gasping for air after what Independence Pass and I put you through...

No mercy...

Although sweet cheeks, you probably will be asking for more...

No, make that begging for more...[sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

you said you got me on this .. fox? you said THAT ?

ohh ohh ohhhh, nice .. you do know how to find things. very nice indeed. i'm impressed.

i gather you can find the Angeles Crest then? my darn elbows were starting to flap . but now
i see, I best give the fox a 2nd chance.

i couldnt help notice in them pics of yours, the lack of rocks, the nice smooth tar mat.
nice conditions for a not so skilled .. nice indeed.

i couldnt help notice that after all that searching, you found ONE hairpin turn .. of 180 degrees,
nice but not much compared to the dozens of 270 degree hairpins at he Crest Hwy .. but still, nice.

dont forget, it snows in both .. [sm=forgetit.gif]

sorry .. you trying to choke my 4100 with O2 starvation?

is not the car i be worrying about, if i was you .. not the car.

fox, run the Crest so i can see where you need a bit of help ..
The Crest, where anything much over 45 mph, kills.

no doubt you saw this report ..scared you? dont rattle and shake, it is gettign safer.
as i said before, a Cannonball style race?

"The steepest grade of any part of the Angeles Crest - Angeles Forest Highway" is found just above I-210, as SR2 "climbs the alluvial slope at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains". (GFG)

Unfortunately, this beautiful road is also the most dangerous road in California "based on miles traveled"! This statement, was printed in the L.A. Times on 8/4/04, A14.

Beginning in June 1999, a special $100,000 state safety grant has produced intensive enforcement of all traffic laws on the Highway along a specially-patrolled 38 mile section. This includes zero tolerance for the speed limit, the failure to turn on headlights in the special safety zone, or going over the yellow line. As a result, 1400 tickets were written from June 1999 through May 2000, 5-10 times the normal amount, with most written on the weekends.
Deaths and injuries have dropped by a factor of two on this 38 mile section, from an average of five deaths and 66 injuries per year from 1995-1999 to two deaths and 32 injuries in the last year. It won't surprise anyone who has driven on the highway that motorcyclists were involved in 47% of the accidents in 1995-1998, despite being less than 3% of all registered vehicles.

remember them brakes?

then again, who needs rail guards at 45 mph ...

Old 08-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey, I did say I needed an advantage - I am not that silly...

That is why the altitude - muscling this front wheel beast around hairpins isn't going to be easy for me.. I am not that skilled... In hairpin turns... I have other skills...

And yes, Independence only has about a dozen of them - if I remember right...

I was just trying to level the playing field - I do like to win... And go fast...

And, plenty of rock slides - we are just smart enough to close the road from first big snow until the end of May.

because these do break off...

Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

The z06 is mystical only for the moment. However if you want to go now I will borrow my friends z06 pushing around 700hp. Mine will be stock............................................. .................for a while after I get it. However in the meantime I would use the c06 raqgtop auto that I have now. Will handle much better then the Stealth, and not sure but I believe I may have a bit more experience??

I hear a lot of talking between you 2. It's time for action. I will arrange for the video crew, and will personally be there to kiss the winner. Obviously you now know who I think is going to win...

In the meantime, keep up the banter. Others may be entertained.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, I did say I needed an advantage - I am not that silly...

That is why the altitude - muscling this front wheel beast around hairpins isn't going to be easy for me.. I am not that skilled... In hairpin turns... I have other skills...

And yes, Independence only has about a dozen of them - if I remember right...

I was just trying to level the playing field - I do like to win... And go fast...

And, plenty of rock slides - we are just smart enough to close the road from first big snow until the end of May.

because these do break off...

hey fox, i thought all along you had the power advantage with all them extra ponies under the hood ..
not that such makes your '93 into a beast - or a sure winner. You wanna see a BEAST, i can pull out
MY Beast
which happens to be a '86 RED "Fox" ragtop unit, modified combustion, suspension tuned,
mod exhaust, RWD .. problem is, the DMV grounded her - for now.

however, we are talking Allante vs Allante, no?
what i wasnt counting on, was them "other skills" ..
something tells me, i may well be beat
before the running starts. then again, maybe not.

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

and not sure but I believe I may have a bit more experience??

I hear a lot of talking between you 2. It's time for action. I will arrange for the video crew, and will
personally be there to kiss the winner. Obviously you now know who I think is going to win...
FYI - since you eluded to experience?

i got my first dozen tickets on that stretch of the Crest,
i got my first DMV excees points warning letter cuz of that stretch, in the Crest,
i laid down two scooters on that stretch, of the Crest,
i abandoned one of them while it tumbled down an embankment, of the Crest,
i proudly wear battle scars, complements of the Crest Hwy,
i drove that Crest stretch faithfully, at dawn, every Sunday since i got my license, until i stopped,
i got hit (notice i didnt hit) three times, once at an accident scene (not mine) while the CHP watched, on the Crest,
i helped rescued kids more than once, from cars that had their wheels not on the tar mat of the Crest,
i thrown bleeding drivers, victims of the Crest, into the back seat for a run to the ranger station,
i initiated more than one date along the Crest Hwy, with the City lights distant below,
the Crest Hwy, IS memory lane.

as you might remember, i parked the scooter, permanently on a promise ?
What i should have promised instead, is to stay of the Crest Hwy instead, cuz THAT was the
real issue .. instead i got talked into parking the scooter. But .. my word is my word !

I have not stressed an engine on the Crest for awhile, so rusty i may be .. but when it comes to
experience
, well, there you have it .. i have but a short 11 more years until my "scooter promise"
expires .. damn ! Where will you be then?

do what to the winner?
euwwwwwww .. i aint, NOT, into that ... eeuuwwwwwwwwww !

then again, fox does mention "other" skills ... so, maybe the race is not quite in the bag ...
ohh boy, now i remember why it is soooo difficult to win a race against a girl .. and she well knows it.
damn ! She well knows it !

At any case, my Stealth unit is fully fueled waiting on fox !
to run only at shift change .. CHP shift change that is.
one clears the stretch and then go with stopwatch.
car vs car - NOT! the law will confiscate.
even Cannonball style or holding at posted, fox will sweat, on them hairpins,
never forgetting, the CHP lurks in the shadows..
at least, so far, no cams that i know ..

Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey, I may have the ponies, but, I certainly don't have that much experience...

And I know that on a stretch of road that you have soooo much experience on Stealth, I wouldn't have a chance...

I have made the trek up Independence only about 20 times - hardly a great deal of experience, and haven't been up there at all in the last couple of years (never in the caddy). I thought maybe we could play a little more fair - some hairpins - and lots of curves along with some nice stretches of straight aways.

Although, when it comes to CHP - I do have a slight advantage - only one speeding ticket - drat, and that was in the last 2 months - in the caddy (I knew I should have never gotten a red one) - but I batted my eyes, held back a tear or two and got the 25+ over down to 9 over. The last time I was caught was in the 914-6 (I would have challenged you, and won, even with no experience, on the crest easily in that - with almost anything you had to throw at it, except a bike) and then - no ticket, just a stern warning - and 'drive home safely...'

So, GARY - when I get my caddy to California - I'll challenge Stealth - wait for that CHP shift change, show him my other "skills" (if I am lucky I'll be able to postpone the race until he can't walk), and you can video tape the victor - and collect that kiss... (cameras off then please)...

And I have never sweated holding at posted...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, I may have the ponies, but, I certainly don't have that much experience...

And I know that on a stretch of road that you have soooo much experience on Stealth, I wouldn't have a chance...

I have made the trek up Independence only about 20 times - hardly a great deal of experience, and haven't been up there at all in the last couple of years (never in the caddy). I thought maybe we could play a little more fair - some hairpins - and lots of curves along with some nice stretches of straight aways.

Although, when it comes to CHP - I do have a slight advantage - only one speeding ticket - drat, and that was in the last 2 months - in the caddy (I knew I should have never gotten a red one) - but I batted my eyes, held back a tear or two and got the 25+ over down to 9 over. The last time I was caught was in the 914-6 (I would have challenged you, and won, even with no experience, on the crest easily in that - with almost anything you had to throw at it, except a bike) and then - no ticket, just a stern warning - and 'drive home safely...'

So, GARY - when I get my caddy to California - I'll challenge Stealth - wait for that CHP shift change, show him my other "skills" (if I am lucky I'll be able to postpone the race until he can't walk), and you can video tape the victor - and collect that kiss... (cameras off then please)...

And I have never sweated holding at posted...

so what if i cant walk .. i'll be driving, not walking ..
i dont like straights, but curves is another matter ..

tell you what .. we'll use an off-shoot of the Crest, unlikely CHP,
only 4 miles or so, point to point. less than 12 ft accross,
less than 45 yard straights, all on a 60% grade, no rails, no nothing.
altitude, a mere 4,000 ft, plenty of O2 for either car.

we run only uphill, and ONLY uphill. downhill will surely scratch your
gorgeous Red Allante. TRUST ME, i should know.
IF you are good, you will come in under 15 seconds behind me,
IF you arent that good, i have to double back and rescue a damsel in distress.
here, YOU WILL SWEAT .. GUARANTEED !
Everyone does .. but it is quick and over soon.

something tells me i'm in trouble here even before the race starts !
i may just as well, start thinking about the consolation prize ..

video crew? where ? helicopter?
there aint no way in hell you can video tape there.
not so sure even a helicopter can do it.
if they could, it be done already in a film.
maybe dash mounted cams, maybe that be the only way.
problem is, if the CHP stops by, they got it all on film ..
not good, not good ...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 AM

If we are talking caddy vs caddy without the vettes and others included, I would go with the 93 and won't have to worry about the brakes failing, especially on that road.

The lady is the pre race favorite I think G.A.R.Y. thinks so to as I'm sure he wouldn't want to be kissin stealth.

Quick Reply: Fox and Donna with the Car Talk guys, Tom and Ray ...