Coolant Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Default Coolant Sensor

Well found the coolant sensor, atleast I think I did. Looked up a pic for a part then took out something that looked like it off the top of my engine, on the front right facing by the grill. I'm pretty sure it was it because coolant started to leak out when I took it out. I was brass or hard copper and had two wires going 4-5" into a connector.

Anyways I tested the voltage or ohms or something and got 20 something from the connector with the key on, engine off. When I pulled the sensor out I thumped it and blew air into and grunted at it and then put it back in.

I started the engine with it plugged in and it did the same thing, then I unplugged the connector to the sensor and it still did the same thing, idk if that means anything. However I still have a rough starting olds 350, but I'm learning things.

Anyone know how to test the coolant sensor after I pull it out, to see if it works. And yes I know I need a book, but cannot afford rnow.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

That was coolant temp sensor there will be another sensor that will look like it in intake runner(Intake Air Temp sensor). You can compare the values with ohm meter, they should read the same when engine is cold. They are not interchangeable. You could also recheck resistance of coolant temp sensor when engine is hot, and post results.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Well slow, I just read your post. Last night I pulled the other sensor out and it was supposedly the air temp sensor, however it was caked in black gunk. I then pulled the coolant sensor out and, after cleaning them off, switched em. I did this because I read online at answers.com this:

""Take a good look at the ecm , many problems with these is what i keep reading in the archives There are two temp sensors on the intake, one for air temp
and one for coolant. They are identical and should read
about the ssame ohms engine cold. Real common failure one
of the sensors will be way off. Don't remember excact spec
on sensors. Will causse flooding and real hard start.
Suspect the sensor with an unreal value, like 16k ohms or
something ewlse out of this world.

. Two most common problems we have seen is
the fuel pressure regulator leaking or the engine coolant
temp sensor failing. ECT and ACT temp sensors are the same
part # on that engine. Check resistance of both sensors
when engine is cold. They are the same sensor so they
should read exactly the same. If different, swap them and
see if engine reacts better to the readings. Good Luck!!
""

It said it was alright to switch them because they are the same part. After swapping them I started the car up and it fired right up, but I don't know if that was because I had recently had it running earlier in the day idk. I'm gonna try it again later, I just have to wait for a tranny oil pan gasket - I'm outta tranny fluid, bone dry. When I got the car a week ago it was full. So while it's empty i'm goin to replace the pan gasket on the tranny anyways I digress thanks for help so far and I'll keep posting progress.

I guess if a sensor is bad I either pay $75 online or go salvaging, just have to hope that a salvage yard part is alright.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM

I will recheck the coolant temperature sensor when the vehicle is hot, the only reading i seem to be getting is from the part that is connected to the wire harness and the car when I unplug the sensor, at the connection. So I hope that is the right way to check.

Also Ima noob with my DT830 Digital Multimeter when I'm testing electrical parts. I have an ohm setting but not sure what lvl to put it at, 2000k through 200. And then settings for V with a wavy, V---, A---, 9V Batt and 1.5V. Not sure what setting to put it on when I check ohm, maybe ohm 2000k and it reads everything below that??? not sure.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM

yeah idk slow, after the sensor swap the engine started right up and ran great, i haven't taken it out of the garage yet as the tranny pan is off. But thanks for the heads up about the sensors