Paint and Body Tech Looking for some information on body work or a new paint job? Talk about it here!

Got DENTS? Easy way to fix 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Thumbs up Got DENTS? Easy way to fix 'em!

I recently purchased a 1990 Cadillac Eldorado, dark blue, dark tan interior, exactly 100k odometer, one little rust spot and everything works. There were several dents in the hood and trunk from dime to half-dollar size. None of them had any paint broken, just the dent. Here's how I fixed them.

I have a heat gun that can get up to 900 degrees F. It looks like a hair dryer. I knew that metal has a memory and given the chance, would rather be like it was when new rather than dented.

I proceeded to carefully heat up the dents and the area around the dents with the heat gun. I was VERY careful to watch the paint should it discolor or start to crack or bubble. In some cases I continued to heat the dent for two or more minutes.

In ALL cases, the dents resolved themselves and disappeared. Some of them "popped" back into place with a noise, some I watched slowly disappear until the area was flat.

The result was absolutely spectacular. Every dent is gone. There are no tell-tale signs of where the dents were. There is no paint discoloration nor any difference in sheen.

I would absolutely recommend this method of fixing dents on any car or truck. I was successful in taking out a dent in the side of my truck that was 12" across. The truck color was yellow and there was no change in paint color, sheen or paint texture there either.

If you are hesitant to try this, I might recommend heating the metal from the inside if you can get to it. Keep an eye on the exterior paint as you do it however.

If you try this and are successful, drop me a note. I'm particularly interested if there is any effect on lighter colors particularly white.