Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

We are running out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: We are running out of gas

KC,
u r starting to scare me.

regular gas just hit $2.97 down the street.
it was $2.57 last week.

what is going on?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Gas shortage causes closure of
25 Petro-Canada stations
Thursday, March 1, 2007 | 11:17 AM ET CBC News

Finding fuel inthe Greater Toronto Areabecame even harder Thursday after Petro-Canada temporarily closed 25 gas stations the day beforein an effort to keep larger sites topped up.

Twenty-five of the company's 205 stations in theToronto areawere deliberately shut down,likely forone to two days,to divertfuel to larger centres in the face of the gas shortage in Ontario. "We have taken the tough decision to close a small number of our smaller sites and so we can focus on replenishing our larger sites," said Petro-Canada spokesman Jon Hamilton. Across the province, 75 of the company's 440 stations ran out of gas on Wednesday.

The gas shortage has left some motorists and taxi drivers hunting for open stations, then facing lengthy lines when they find one. 'Stay calm,' McGuinty urges Premier Dalton McGuintyasked the public to stay calm and asked oil companies to ensure no community completely runs out of gas.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

U.S. gas imports urged To alleviate shortage
John Greenwood, Financial PostSaturday, March 03, 2007

With no sign of relief in the fuel crisis that is causing havoc on highways across much of Ontario, an association of gas station owners has called on Ottawa to temporarily relax laws that prevent them from importing gasoline and diesel from the United States.Such a move would help alleviate a problem that started two weeks ago after a fire at an Imperial Oil Ltd. refinery in Nanticoke, Ont. caused the facility to shut down, cutting off scores of retailers in the province."If you have a shortage in one area, you should be able to move supplies from other areas where there are no shortage," said Bob MacMinn, chairman of the Canadian Independent Petroleum Marketers Association. "This is very frustrating."

Several years ago the federal government tightened the rules around fuel additives such as benzene and sulphur seen to be harmful to the environment, making it illegal for gas stations to sell fuel blends widely available in the U.S. Mr. MacMinn wants the federal government to waive the rules long enough to re-supply the scores of gas stations across the province that have run out.In the United States, regulation of fuel additives is regional -- there are more than 30 states and groups of states with their own requirements, some tougher than Canada's. But under U.S. law, Washington has the option to temporarily waive rules in times of emergency, as it did after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. However, in Canada the process is a lot more difficult."We just want what they have in the U.S.," Mr. MacMinn said.

The gasoline shortage has been exacerbated by the recent strike at CN Rail and bad weather, but analysts say the root cause of the situation is a lack of infrastructure. No new refineries have been built in Central Canada in more than two decades, partly because of the huge costs involved.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

It hit $3.58 for 87 octane before it halted.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Yeah, it's true that gas is a natural resource which will run out one day, but the price will increase at a steady rate, the reason it's tripled in the last decade here in the U.S is because of all the wars the U.S has been involved in, a lot of fighting in the middle east making countries there sell gas for more or not sell gas at all to the U.S, and the biggest reason is the U.S falling economy since 2001. I guess we can say that the U.S has had it's 'Gold Age' and now unfortunately it's not going to be as good for us. Especially with jobs being cut, and less domestic production, gas is only going to be more expensive and harder to make money to buy it. Bush said that by the end of 2008 the U.S economy will be "stronger than ever", I'd like to see what really happens, maybe he's just bull****ing while he's still in office because by then he's going to have only a few months left of office to get his things and let Obama in the White House.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM

I would suggest "nobody knows what the price will be and Congress again has the gas companies on the mat getting them to explain their "record" profits. let me throw this at you. On Tuesday April 1st the Mobil station up the street was charging$3.09 for regular, Wed $3.15, Thursday $3.12 and today, Friday $3.20. I ask you, what has changed drastically this week and why the local daily changes when the trucks that supply the stations stop by only twice a week! What has the commodity market got to do with the "daily" fluctuations?
Did the gas prices rise eleven cents a gallon this week because the unemployment figures raised?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Yeah it's some bull**** goin on. I just found some old reciets in my glove compartment, from 2 months ago at the same Marathon I go to premium gas was $50 cheaper. Oil is a natural resource but it doesn't GET wasted that fast all the sudden in a 2 month frame. I found it kind of intresting, someone told me Bush is a co owner of Exxon Mobile, that might be a little coinsidence with the gas prices going up if it's true.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

It's about greed, nothing else. Oil co.s don't care about recession / depression they are causing in the US. Years ago I knew a guy from NYC. Almost all of the gas stations had out off gas signs on the the pumps. Being young enterprisers, his friends found an oil co. with lots of gas and a trucking co. willing to haul the the gas from Texas to NYC. There was only one problem....There was no place to store it everyone's tanks were full. They were just waiting to raise the price. There a large number of capped off wells in US right now and we are still a OIL EXPORTING NATION. Because BIG BUSINESS controls the government they are able to do what they want. BIG BUSINESS pushs for deregulation in the consumers best interest, free competion, then merger together to SCREW the american public. The next adminstration will have it's hands full trying to straighten out the mess left the oil men. Oh, I'm sorry the present administration.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Basically Bush led to the collapse of the U.S golden age and the power of the dollar