Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

USS Wahoo (SS-565)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default USS Wahoo (SS-565)

too much time on my hands recuperating between doses of
legal drugs ....

i was simply looking for the beginnings of the word wahoooooo ...

USS Wahoo, a diesel powered sub, was named for a species of fish, but the word wahoo
is also reminiscent of the yell of the American Indian.

The "Wahoo Indian" was "Lonesum Polecat" from the "Li'l Abner" comic strip.
The original Lonesum Polecat drawing did not have the bottle of Kickapoo Joy Juice.

USS Wahoo patch by Al Capp of Li'l Abner fame, circa 1952

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/649DCB19B16B47C2853A9608E2C0161A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Default RE: USS Wahoo (SS-565)

Funny this would come up and it brings up old memories. One of the reasons I was dying to get into the submarine service when I joined the navy was because of the stories told by the brothers of the gal that was my "steady" in High school in the forties. The were both serving aboard the "Wahoo" and both lost with her sinking.
I enlisted in the regular Navy instead of the reserve just so I could get my pick of branch of service. At "boot-camp" in San Diego it was found that my parents had been too diligent with my teeth hygiene. Regular visits to the dentist and of course you never got out of the office without a "filling."
Anyway seems like submariner requirements excluded those with too many teeth filled. No dentist on subs I guess. So I had to go for naval air but that's another story.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: USS Wahoo (SS-565)

look at it this way, more commercial jobs flying than submarining ...

here is a twist. i didnt know that the NAVY recycled ship names .
there were two Wahoo's .. the patch is of the SS-565

BTW, my favorite movie of all time? Das Boot

by unk

USS Wahoo (SS-238) was a Gato-class submarine, the first United States Navy ship to be named for the wahoo, a dark blue food fish of Florida and the West Indies.

The second was SS-565. This Wahoo earned six battle stars for World War II service.

the following is the story of SS-238...

on 13 September, and headed for La Perouse Strait. The plan was to enter the Sea of Japan first, on or about 20 September, with Sawfish following by a few days.

Japanese records also reported, on 11 October, the date Wahoo was due to exit through La Perouse Strait, an antisubmarine aircraft sighted a wake and an apparent oil slick from a submerged submarine.

Sawfish was depth-charged by a patrol boat while transiting the strait, on 09 October and the enemy's antisubmarine forces were on the alert in that area. There could be little doubt this attack fatally holed Wahoo, and she sank with all hands. She was declared overdue on 2 December 1943 and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 6 December 1943.

In 2005, electronic surveys in the region yielded what turned out to be of a U.S. Gato class submarine in the Strait; in July, 2006, the Russian team "Iskra" investigated the location of the Wahoo. fhe United States Navy confirmed that the images provided by the “Iskra” team are of the Wahoo, the wreckage lying in about 213 feet (65 meters) of water in the La Perouse (Soya) Strait.

the sailors of SS-238

Anders, F. MM3
Andrews, J. S. EM1 Bailey, R. E. SC3 Bair, A. I. TM3 Berg, J. C. MM3 Browning, C. E. MOMM2 Brown, D. R. LTJG Bruce, C. L. MOMM1 Buckley, J. P. RM1 Burgan, W. W. LT Campbell, J. S. ENS Carr, W. J. CGMA Carter, J. E. RM2 Davison, W. E. MOMM1 Deaton, L. N. TM1 Erdey, J. S. EM3 Fielder, E. F. LTJG Finkelstein, O. TM3 Galli, W. O. TM3 Garmon, C. E. MOMM2 Garrett, G. C., Jr. MOMM2 Gerlacher, W. L. S2 Goss, R. P. MOMM1 Greene, H. M. LT Hand, W. R. EM2 Hartman, L. M. MM3 Hayes, D. M. EM2 Henderson, R. N. LT Holmes, W. H. EM1 House, V. A. S1 Howe, H. J. EM2 Jacobs, O. MOMM1 Jasa, R. L. MM3 Jayson, J. O. CK3 Johnson, K. B. TM1 Keeter, D. C. CMOMMA Kemp, W. W. GM1 Kessock, P. F1 Krebs, P. H. S1 Kirk, E. T. S1 Lape, A. D. F1 Lindemann, C. A. S1 Logue, R. B. FC1 Lynch, W. L. F1 MacAlman, S. E. PHM1 MacGowen, T. J. MOMM1 Magyar, A. J. MM3 Manalisay, J. C. ST3 Mandjiak, P. A. MM3 Massa, E. E. S1 Maulding, E. C. SM3 Maulding, G. E. TM3 McGill, T. J. CMOMMA McGilton, H. E. TM3 McSpadden, D. J. TM1 Mills, M. L. RT1 Misch, G. A. LTJG Morton, D. W. CDR Neel, P. TM2 O'Brien, F. L. EM1 O'Neal, R. L. EM3 Ostrander, E. E. MM3 Phillips, P. D. SC1 Rennels, J. L. SC2 Renno, H. S1 Seal, E. H. Jr. TM2 Simonetti, A. R. SM2 Skjonsby, V. L. LCDR Smith, D. O. BM1 Stevens, G. V. MOMM2 Terrell, W. C. QM3 Thomas, W. S1 Tyler, R. O. TM3 Vidick, J. EM2 Wach, L. J. *** Waldron, W. E. RM3 Ware, N. C. CEM White, W. T. Y2 Whipp, K. L. MM2 Witting, R. L. MM3