Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Religion or lack of ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default Religion or lack of ...

ORIGINAL: Doug Gross & CBS News
Ga. Public Schools May Add Bible Classes Courses,
On Bible Literature & History, Will Be Optional
April 30, 2007

Georgia, has passed legislation to allow Bible classes as a HS elective.
History and Literature of the Old Testament Era" and "History and Literature of the New Testament Era"

The classes, will not be required, and the state's 180 school systems can decide for themselves whether to offer them.

The school board's unanimous vote set up a 30-day public comment period, after which it is expected to give final approval.

academic information and teaching materials related to teaching about religion.in
public schools in support of:
an educational commitment to pluralism,acknowledgment
that public schools are for students of all worldviews, whether religious or nonreligious,
the professional understanding that public school teachers need to exercise a scrupulous
neutrality regarding religion.

- The Florida Department of Education, has offered (as HS electives)
two Bible history electives since at least the 1990s,

- two states, Alabama and Missouri, are considering legislation to allow
Bible history classes as HS electives,

- one state, Georgia, has passed legislation to allow Bible classes as a HS elective.
History and Literature of the Old Testament Era" and "History and Literature of the New Testament Era"

- California, within the contents of Social Studies, can and does teach history of cultures and related theology.

- several other states do some or all of the above ...

none of this is mandated, all within the Fed Guidelines of 1998 ......

ORIGINAL: Kevin Simpson, Richard Riley

Federal ground rules for religious expression in public schools .

Secretary of Education Richard Riley, at the direction of President Clinton,
issued guidelines in 1995 and updated them in 1998 to reflect recent court decisions.

A synopsis of the guidelines:[*]Students have the same right to engage in individual or group prayer and religious discussion during the school day as they do to engage in other comparable activity.[*][*]Local school authorities have "substantial discretion" to impose rules of order but may not structure the rules to discriminate against religious activity or speech.[*][*][*]Students may attempt to persuade peers about religious topics as they would any other topics, but schools should stop such speech that constitutes harassment.[*][*]Students may participate in before- or after-school events with religious content, such as "see-you-at-the-flagpole" gatherings, on the same terms they can participate in other noncurricular activities on school premises.[*][*]Teachers and administrators are prohibited from either encouraging or discouraging religious activity and from participating in such activity with students.[*][*]Public schools may not provide religious instruction but may teach about religion.[*][*]Students may express their beliefs about religion in homework, artwork and other written and oral assignments. The work should be judged by ordinary academic standards and against other "legitimate pedagogical concerns." Students may distribute religious literature on the same terms other literature unrelated to curriculum can be distributed.[*][*]Schools have "substantial discretion" to excuse students from lessons objectionable on religious or other conscientious grounds. But students generally don't have a federal right to be excused from lessons inconsistent with religious beliefs or practices.[*][*]Schools may actively teach civic values and morals, even if some of those values also happen to be held by religions.[*][*]Students may display religious messages on clothing to the same extent they may display other comparable messages.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Default RE: Religion or lack of ...

Zal:

I doubt that our old friend will approve, but I see little here to quibble about and, coming out of the Clinton administratigasm, that is saying something for me.

As you know, my belief is that our children are way short on belief systems as it is. Everybody needs some sort of belief system, even if it constitutes no beliefs at all.

I, personally, have a God in whom I believe. It is a great comfort to me. It is the way I was raised and I make no apologies for it.

JCS

Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Attended "Town Meeting" last night in the high school auditorium. Started the evening with "The pledge of Allegiance" and glad to see it is still "Under God."

Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

ohhhh GODD !!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/9A04BA3DC5E648DB8367AFAC944FB7CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

In Florida , an atheist became incensed over thepreparation of Easter andPassover holidays.
He decided to contact his lawyer about the discriminationinflicted on atheists by the constant
celebrationsafforded to ChristiansandJews with all theirholidays while atheists had no holiday
to celebrate.

The case was brought before a wise judge. After listening to the longpassionatepresentation
by the lawyer, the Judge banged his gavel and declared, "Casedismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood and objected to the ruling and said, "Yourhonor,how can you
possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easterand many other observances.
Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah ...yetmy client and all other atheists have no such holiday!"

The judge leaned forward in his chair and simply said, "Obviously yourclientis too
confused to know about, or to celebrate the atheists' holiday!"

The lawyer pompously said, "We're unaware of any such holiday for atheists.
Justwhen might that holiday be, your honor?"

The judge said,
"Well it comes every year on exactly the same date --- April1st!, April FOOL's day"

"The FOOL says in his heart, There is no God.”

Psalm 14:1, Psalm 53