Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Problem free & just enjoying your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Default Problem free & just enjoying your car?

I have a question for the members of this forum:

It seems that every post is about some problem with their Caddy.

It prompts me to wonder, "Are Caddy's just very problematic, and not built on quality?"
Or are the problems just related to the age of the car? But many problem posts list odometers of 100k or less.
From what I've read and experienced, the Big 3 have dramatically improved on quality since the 80's (if they didn't, they'd be dead by now), so are most of the problem cars at some cutoff in model years where quality seems to have dramatically increased thereafter?

Is there anyone who is not have a problem with their car, and is just enjoying it?
Belonging to the Corvette forum also, the majority of posts there are not problems, but are of the enthusiast nature, such as modifications, ideas, questions pertaining to vehicle knowledge, etc.

So, anyone NOT have problems??

Old 08-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Problem free & just enjoying your car?

Hey there Vette: You make a very good point. Number one is that there are far more caddy's out there than vette's. Number2, according to my mechanic, is that Caddy tried their so called new technology of the day on the cadillac line up of cars to see how good and reliable it was. Therefore you will see that caddy owners are bearing the brunt of G.M. R&D work. Maybe G.M. train of thought was that this segment of the market could afford the repair bills. However that is not the case now as caddy owners are all over the income demographic now. Hope this sheds some light. You made a point and it will get a lot of people thinking. CHow.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Yes, you're right that Caddy was the forefront of some technology. However, you should realize Corvettes get break-thru technology as well. Examples:

Hydroformed rails to form the backbone of the Vette.
Magnetic Ride Suspension, which debuted in 2003 on the Vette, and is now on the XLR.
Carbon fiber hood on the 2004 CE Z06 (I think this was the first production car to have it).
The 2001 Z06 was the first production car with titanium exhaust.

All that was just with the C5 generation car.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like my truck. It's actually more than I need, but I always say that you should buy more than you need...i.e. more house, more car, more furniture, etc...because you always regret it later when you don't.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:21 PM

VetteViperGuy,

New member here.....I just purchased my first Caddy last month a CTS w/3.6L engine. Obviously I haven't had any problems yet. One of the main reasons I went with a Cadillac was their reputation. My last 4 vehicles were MOPAR ('96 Dodge Ram 1500, '97 Dodge Intrepid, '98 Dodge Durango & '02 Dodge Ram 1500). I wanted a luxury-class auto so I bought the CTS with the luxury pkg. I love the car. The 3.6 has plenty of pep and the gas mileage is pretty good (I would have loved to buy the CTS-V but the price and the gas mileage were two concerns for me). Right now I'm getting 21 MPG and I'm thinking that will improve as the car gets more broken in. One disappointing thing is the lack of after-market upgrades available. I can't find a chip or module for this engine.......I thought there would be plenty available since it's a GM product. The only air induction w/filter is by K&N, which is OK since I've used their products before (but competition brings down prices and I'm not wealthy). Borla does make a CAT-back system that I'll get when I can afford it. The first change I made was dark tint on all the windows. It looks good since I bought the Raven Black paint. My next upgrade will be some chrome wheels. Anyway, any info anyone can share about upgrades for the CTS w3/6L would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

I watched a video of a CTS with the original 3.2L and a big ole Turbo run at the salt flats.
Over 200mph and i believe they said the internals were stock(i can't recall for sure)

Its only a matter of time before PCM reflashes(chips) and procharger kits are being bolted on to these sports cars.
Our dealer services Toyota and Caddy. GM as improved its initial quailty by leaps and bounds while the toyo techs are stuggling to keep up with the troubled new rice burning generation.(No disrespect, i drive a Tundra)