Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

global warning is a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: global warning is a problem?

speeking of this gore guy..... check this out http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp hows this for saving the enviroment?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default George W. Bush's eco-friendly ranch and Al Gore's energy-expending mansion ...

Rick,

thanks for posting this .. Al Gore is accepting the Nobel Prize today ...

ORIGINAL: rickyd

speeking of this gore guy..... check this out

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp hows this for saving the enviroment?
The email

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

snopes
Glass Houses Claim: E-mail compares George W. Bush's eco-friendly ranch with Al Gore's energy-expending mansion.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2007]

According to the Associated Press,

the Gore's 10,000 square foot Belle Meade residence consumes electricity at a rate of about 12 times the average for a typical house in Nashville (191,000 kwh versus 15,600 kwh). While there are mitigating factors (further discussed in our article about the Gore household's energy use), this is still a surprising number, given that the residence is approximately four times the size of the average new American home.

The Prairie Chapel Ranch ranch home owned by George W. Bush in Crawford, Texas, was designed by Austin architect David Heymann, an associate dean for undergraduate programs at the University of Texas School of Architecture. As the Chicago Tribune described the house in a 2001 article: The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.

Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Default RE: George W. Bush's eco-friendly ranch and Al Gore's energy-expending mansion ...

This isn't meant to be "sour grapes" but when G Bush was building his home just about everyone with a buck was doing all the same. I had a set of drawings in 82 that had all these offerings but we didn't build. Not allowed to use a tin roof in the sub-division we moved into. All these things make the house much "cheaper" to live in. A lot of friends of mine in Connecticut have added these systems in their new homes. The well water and heat pumps are very sucessfull anywhere since the well water pumped up is always about 55 degrees.
You might find (since snopes articles never stated) that Gores home may be 100 years old.

Gore and Bush are both politicians and no matter that one of the two is getting a Nobel even for the wrong reason, who has done the most Damage to our country and least deserves to be mentioned?
.Strange in all the articlesno mention of a swimming pool on Grorge Bushes ranch and I'm sure if he didn't, the U.S. Governmentdid build a pretty good sized "guest house" on the ranch, at least for the secret service. (And I bet it is heated and cooled by a standard Texas "heat pump."
.You have to be very carefull how you interpret what you see in print nowadays!.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: two seater convertible

Of course you only HEAR that it works on mary. j.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: George W. Bush's eco-friendly ranch and Al Gore's energy-expending mansion ...

i have pictures of these homes, though i'm not sure how to get them into the Forum..... they were sent to me via e-mail...... need some help and i'll make the picture appear..... tx
rick

Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Certified Members

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Goreshome.jpg[/font]A 20 room mansion ( not including 8 bathrooms ) heated by
natural gas. Add on a pool ( and a pool house) and a separate guest
house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more
energy than the average American household does in a year. The
average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400. In
natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the
national average for an American home. This house is not situated
in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt" area. It's in the South.
[/font][/font]
[/color]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Bushshome.jpg"

House #2Designed by an architecture professor at a
leading national university. This house incorporates every
"green" feature current home construction can provide. The house is
4,000 square feet ( 4 bedrooms ) and is nestled on a high prairie in the
American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal
heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the
ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F. ) heats the house in the winter
and cools it in the summer. The system us es no fossil fuels such as oil or
natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a
conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected
and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from
showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then
into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land
surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area
enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.

~~~~~
HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ; it is the abode of
the "environmentalist" Al Gore.

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford , Texas ; it is the residence

[font=arial][color=black]the of the President of the United States , George W. Bush.

An "inconvenient truth".

Old 12-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Exactly what I meant. Do you relly believe that shot is actually a picture today of where The Bushes live and invite other countries heads of state to visit? Think a royal saudi prince would spend the weekend there? The picture shown is only missing a shot of the "outhouse" in the rear under the only tree! And where does George park his Allante, Tractor and pickup?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

well, of the two, i like this one the best .... as long as i dont have to mow the lawn, paint the fence, or clean the windows. But i gotta ask .. what is that 4 ft strip between the white fence and the wire fence for?

My whole thing with Gore is his level of hypocracy where he thinks he knows better what is good for us yet doesnt apply to him. Then again, is not that the mark of every Presidential candidate in the past 200 years?

Name:  Goreshome.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  62.9 KB

Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM

What have both these multi-millionaires got against "paved" driveways?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

zinzin,

paved driveways, specially black top driveways, are for poor folks that cant afford to maintain the gravel and lawns.

It is the "in" thing for such little homes.

the gravel driveway

the cottage

Before you say, "that's just a gravel driveway", remember "if only the walls could talk..." You're looking down the main house's driveway totheNew York Route 9,on the very spot, about 300 yardsfrom the mansion shown above, where FDR stopped after carrying himself on crutches toproveto himself that polio would not beat him. He went on fromhere to become theGovernor of New York and President of the United States.

Quick Reply: global warning is a problem?