Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

E-Bay security

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
jim
Default E-Bay security

I wanted to let you good folks know about my experience with e-bay. A few days ago, I was watching a certain item. When I checked on it the next day, the buy it now price was lower than the previous days high bid. So I clicked on the bid history, and a window popped up listing E-Bays log in page. So I logged in again. That was the mistake I made, as that info. must have went to the scam person who took over that particular site, as I got an e-mail from that person telling me that I won the buy it now, and to wire him the $. He even had my name and address and e-mail, all from accessing my account. Needless to say I changed passwords on all mysensitive accounts. E-bay verified it was spoof, but told me it was because I e-mailed this person, which I did not do! E-bay just did not want to hear that they have a problem with someone hacking into there system. Poor security if you ask me, seems they don't even care. This will eventually catch up to them if continues long enough, which eventually ruin the credibility of E-Bay.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: E-Bay security

Jim,

i hope you didnt issue funds and get burned.
using links on and for ebay transactions, IMHO, suicidal.

i even make it a practice to back out of any buys where the seller suddenly gives
you only one option to pay by clickin on some link - i wont do it.

if the seller states that in the description, i keep going to the next seller,
if he pops it out after the auction, no go.

i already had my paypal acc compromised once, aint going to
happen again.

does ebay/paypal care? can i sleep on it?

but before i sleep, let me tell you that IMO, they are the most
conceded arrogant folks in the planet, even more than MS.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 AM

I knock on wood but so far have not been burned. Get many more "E" mails from E Bay scams now wanting to update my E Bay info but ebay now has an address where you can just forward them directly to ebay/scam.
I usually get a thank you back from ebay for this info and I hope they are prosecuting them. These counterfeiters are real professionals.
My gripe with Ebay and paypal is a the no simple way of questioning them.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
jim

I saw that this was a scam, and did not send in anything, but the whole incident should have never happened, and my biggest complaint is that E-Bay does not want to face up to the point that someone hacked into their system to make this happened, E-Bay was telling me I had this problem because I ans. the person's e-mail, and I did no such thing. They do not want to accept that they have a problem, and if this problem continues it will eventually effect them.A while back I notified them of a problem and they e-mailed me back and said they are not a policing agency! I guess not but their security should be top notch or they should hire a policing agency, as I think they could afford that to make things safer, rather than covering it up!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Jim,

i definitally got your point. ebay gets compromised quite often w/o your or my help.
unfortunatelly, when things go wrong, the "security community of ebay" rises to new
levels of arrogance and blame you and me cuz you see, they can do no wrong.

all i can say is that ebay / paypal links are suicidal.

you did good on not using that link and reporting it. ebay may blame you, but they
will go and stop it..

ORIGINAL: jim

I saw that this was a scam, and did not send in anything, but the whole incident should have never happened, and my biggest complaint is that E-Bay does not want to face up to the point that someone hacked into their system to make this happened, E-Bay was telling me I had this problem because I ans. the person's e-mail, and I did no such thing. They do not want to accept that they have a problem, and if this problem continues it will eventually effect them.A while back I notified them of a problem and they e-mailed me back and said they are not a policing agency! I guess not but their security should be top notch or they should hire a policing agency, as I think they could afford that to make things safer, rather than covering it up!