Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

David Letterman admits affairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default David Letterman admits affairs

Letterman admits affairs

A CBS News employee is accused of trying to extort $2 million from David Letterman, and the late-night host has admitted in a monologue before millions of viewers that he had sexual relationships with female employees.

The person who was arrested works on the true-crime show "48 Hours" and has been suspended. He threatened to write a screenplay and a book about Letterman unless he was paid. There were two meetings, with the man given a phony $2 million check. Letterman joked it was like the giant ceremonial check given to winners of golf tournaments.

Letterman told the audience that he had to testify before a grand jury on Thursday. "I was worried for myself, I was worried for my family," he said. "I felt menaced by this, and I had to tell them all of the creepy things that I had done."

He said "the creepy stuff was that I have had sex with women who work for me on the show. My response to that is yes, I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Yes, it would, especially for the women."

"Whether they wanted to make the relationships public was up to them", he said.

"It's been a very bizarre experience," he said. "I felt like I needed to protect these people. I need to protect my family. I need to protect myself. Hope to protect my job."

The "Late Show" has been on the air since 1993. Before that, "Late Night with David Letterman" aired on NBC from 1982 to 1993.

The 62-year-old Letterman married Regina Lasko in March '09, had been dating since 1986 and have a son, Harry, born in November 2003.