Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Best burgers in the planet ... not fast food.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Best burgers in the planet ... not fast food.

These places have no microwave ovens or heating lights.
They say "we dont serve fast food, we serve good food as fast as we can"

Most of the other 28,956 burger joints, are IMO, fast food places and meant to feed the masses, not the soul.

Here are the links for the TOP THREE, in order of sinful pleasure.
If you are on a diet, HIT the BACK button.

Top of the scale, the two cardiac specials:
http://thebucketburger.com/menu/menu.htm

2nd place, every location, every menu item, the shakes, including the unpublished "secret" menu.
http://www.in-n-out.com/

3rd ... (note: only the ORIGINAL location in Beverly Blvd, only the original BURGER)
http://www.originaltommys.com/burger.php

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/61E1B76C913144C79F9E9DA538DDE63E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/378DDA02D0234917A4A80B8C580629F8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/F377FCB0989F402690FA2E4947D243B8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/2582887AA32041D5B5002AF3F0CE725C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3799/D3F5BCF932604454B554A13F9BFB2D97.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Best burgers in the planet ... not fast food.

the "secret" menu, partial ...

http://www.badmouth.net/graphics/inout/Secret_Menu.pdf

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 AM

I've got to tell you. I find it hard to get a good "eatable" hamburger lately. All the "New" places seem to think they have to add the world to a hamburger to make it more marketable. Back East the closest to these places is a new francise called "Red Robin. You positively cannot get any hamburger selection on the menu that is a reasonable size that you can eat. It's the closest "In and Out" type place to my home and shopping area but after two visits we now pass and drive ten miles to McDonalds.
What the heck was the matter with "White Towers" which fed me when I was in school?
Fortunately, I believe we will see a return to the size of normalcy if only because of "the economy" stupid. (The manager of Red Robin states they have to make bigger more "gimicky" sandwiches that can be sold at ahigher price to cover the more time spent in expensive booths!)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hyperion

I've got to tell you. I find it hard to get a good "eatable" hamburger lately. All the "New" places seem to think they have to add the world to a hamburger to make it more marketable. Back East the closest to these places is a new francise called "Red Robin. You positively cannot get any hamburger selection on the menu that is a reasonable size that you can eat. It's the closest "In and Out" type place to my home and shopping area but after two visits we now pass and drive ten miles to McDonalds.
What the heck was the matter with "White Towers" which fed me when I was in school?
Fortunately, I believe we will see a return to the size of normalcy if only because of "the economy" stupid. (The manager of Red Robin states they have to make bigger more "gimicky" sandwiches that can be sold at ahigher price to cover the more time spent in expensive booths!)
zinzin,

The Bucket has been doing that since 1935, I believe, and the oter two since the ealry 50's ?
I can find more later ...

The Bucket, I dont know .. other than they been selling the cardiac as long as i can remember .. other menu items .. i dont know when those started.

Tommys has added menu gimmicks, so only the original hamburger, at the original location I would also recommend. Been going there since HS days and I wont touch anything else in their menu.

IN-N-OUT has not changed their menu since I started going there in HS .. prices yes, menu items no.

I do miss A&W and the floats .. there is still one left somewhere in LA Co.
"White Towers" ? ? ? Dont know that one.

We still have a 50's dinner, but the roller skates are long gone and they cant get HS girls to work there anymore and my town outlawed "crusing" - dumb decission. The Dinner still does the Wed evening vintage cars on the parking lot (crusing outlawed) and I manage to park the Allante there now and then. When I leave, the car is always full of hand prints, so you know it got some close looks. One of these days I will get my kid to drive the 2nd Allante and we can park both, side by side, trowing off everyone.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Zin
said in another post to visit son in D.C. and get a "Five Guys" burger. Arteries clog just smelling them!

White Tower rings no bell with me either, but always got a White Castle twelve pack that Dad and I shared every Cleveland Brown Football we went to! (they were $.11 when McDonald's were $.15)

Zal,
A & W Boardman Ohio St RTE 224-every Friday --cruise and DJ. Carhops and the works. C'mon over!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM

There go my "fingers again! Of course they are White Castles. I have a 2 by 3ft color photograph taken at a White Castle in Cleveland at midnight hanging in my den. They were twenty years ahead of MacDonalds and probably gave them the idea. Those "sliders" were a dime and a paper bag full of them at 1 a. m. was nectar to the gods.
I can remember being stuck in places like Cleveland and St Louis over holidays when the only place you could get a meal that was open were "White Castles." (more than one thanksgiving meal at a castle) Packs of "White Castle"burgers can be picked up in the frozen food section of my local super market. They are about half the size of a plain McDonald hamburger, pre-cooked, loaded with chopped onions. They are steamed at the Castles before serving with usually just mustard. (Ideal for the micro-wave.)
Any patron of an "In and Out" would laugh but "hunger" makes for a fantastic appetite! And very fond memories!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hyperion

There go my "fingers again! Of course they are White Castles. I have a 2 by 3ft color photograph taken at a White Castle in Cleveland at midnight hanging in my den. They were twenty years ahead of MacDonalds and probably gave them the idea. Those "sliders" were a dime and a paper bag full of them at 1 a. m. was nectar to the gods.
I can remember being stuck in places like Cleveland and St Louis over holidays when the only place you could get a meal that was open were "White Castles." (more than one thanksgiving meal at a castle) Packs of "White Castle"burgers can be picked up in the frozen food section of my local super market. They are about half the size of a plain McDonald hamburger, pre-cooked, loaded with chopped onions. They are steamed at the Castles before serving with usually just mustard. (Ideal for the micro-wave.)
Any patron of an "In and Out" would laugh but "hunger" makes for a fantastic appetite! And very fond memories!
I would have chosen the C-nile virus.

Still, White Castle rings no bells here.
I'll search later and see what it means in the So CA area.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Sorry Zin we must get back on topic as White Castle is the first fast food chain in America. (Man I haven't heard them called sliders in 50 years.) They were the best grilled onions smoking on the grille. Saw my first one in Columbus Ohio two years ago and made my two oldest girls make a u-turn to get to them as I described them as close to your nectar of the gods! Man they were awful! Another memory killed. Go five guys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

http://www.fiveguys.com/

Coming soon to Carson Ca. for all you left coast guys.

And when Stomper gets the next thread going make sure this gets posted:

http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-23059/??&t=0

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Royal castle in Florida, very similar if not exact to white castle up north. You can get a box of white castle at publix and as Zin says ZAP 'em in the wave and down about 5 of them.
Zin what were you smokin in order to be piggin out on white castles at midnight?" Munch munch.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
jim

I never knew what white castle was until I went to school at Ohio State in Columbus. I wentto White Castleonce and that was enough. They use to call them gut bombs. I can't believe it comes up talking about the best ones to be had?

Quick Reply: Best burgers in the planet ... not fast food.