Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Jim R

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Default Jim R 93 Cadillac idle problem

1993 Cadillac deville 4.9. I purchased car new in 1993. 230,000 miles. Best car ever... My problem is simple I had to replace a Idle speed control motor about 4 months and used the instruction sheet that came with the parts (after market). I did not have to go through the learn idle speed process. Recently the car is somewhat unstable at idle surges it also is sailing when i let off the gas sometimes rolling along at 35 mph for a minute or two before gas fully retracts. I tried disconnecting the battery with no improvment then I found the sequence for the OBD and have a code E52. I went through the learn idle process last night with temperature at 51 degrees instructions stated be over 50 degrees. The sequence went without any issues and I could hear the idle control motor going through the adjustment process. Car seems to idle perfectly (warm condition) but too low on initial startup (cold condition). Also when I turn engine off I get clicking on the gas pedal about 10 times last 10-15 second or so. My wife thinks it cute and wanted to know if I can get her 2000 seville to do the same tune (not funny). I also get gas pedal clicking when i turn key on before starting but only 2 or 3 clicks on the pedal. Do I need to give this some time to learn the correct idle or do I have some sensor acting up. Also don't know why the cold idle is so low. Any help will be appreicated.

Last edited by jjruggiero; 11-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.