Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

Electric power washer for car wash!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Default Electric power washer for car wash!

A store near me has a rebuilt Black and Decker electric power washer on sale for $55. It comes with a wash wand and a wand with a bottle for soap attached to it. It has 1300 psi of water pressure and 1.6 GPM Water Flow.

Is this type of unit good for washing a car? Can the water pressure damage the paint? I assume this would be less than a self-service car wash put out.
Looking for your help please!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Default Electric power washer for car wash!

Yea! It would be good for car wash, don’t fear that about the paint. You just need to take care of cautions while washing your car with pressure washer:

1. Always keep the nozzle at least 6 inches away from the paint. Don't be tempted to get closer to remove a little spot. If you spray directly into an existing chip and you're too close, it can actually chip the paint. 1400psi is not likely going to cause any problem, though.

2. Never use a straight stream (if the pressure washer supports it). Same reason as above, Keep the stream in a "fan" of about 30 degrees.

3. Don't towel dry after washing with only a pressure washer. Even if you use soap, some dirt will remain and you'll end up with dirty towels and swirl marks.

You may check out http://www.best-pressure-washer-revi...teristics.html, It has excellent reviews about the best pressure washers selected on their characteristics.

Last edited by Caley; 05-24-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Certified Members

opinions only ...

is that one like they use to wash cars at the auto dealers on a daily basis? they are probably great when you have a large fleet to keep clean.

i wonder how good these are in cleaning the undercarriage, the driveway & patio furniture?

Its probably safe for top coat paint as long as you dont get too close and dont hit a chipped spot where the water pressure can get under the coat of paint and lift the paint.

Originally Posted by Highlander
A store near me has a rebuilt Black and Decker electric power washer on sale for $55. It comes with a wash wand and a wand with a bottle for soap attached to it. It has 1300 psi of water pressure and 1.6 GPM Water Flow.

Is this type of unit good for washing a car? Can the water pressure damage the paint? I assume this would be less than a self-service car wash put out.
Looking for your help please!