General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS IT THE V.A.T????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Default IS IT THE V.A.T????????

ok, so i thought it was something to do with my battery because everything worked fine until i took it out....wen i go to start it everything in the car works exept itWONT crank/turn over and on my dash the security light is on and it sometimes flashes my voltage on the dash reads 11.7-12.2......i tried cleaning the battery terminals tightening them and even jump starting nothing i do with the battery works.... probably not battery??.... i tried cleaning the key and as some one else suggested spraying wd-40 on it...(didnt wok).....THIS IS ALL I KNOW ABOUT THE CAR PROBLEM i have no idea what it could be besides the VAT ..... (what else could be causing thisNO crank situation) and if it is the VAT how can i fix it??????? any suggestions please reply...... I AM ONLY 16 AND THIS IS MY FIRST CAR AND I REALY NEED HELP!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: IS IT THE V.A.T????????

ORIGINAL: NEWCADYOWNER

ok, so i thought it was something to do with my battery because everything worked fine until i took it out....wen i go to start it everything in the car works exept itWONT crank/turn over and on my dash the security light is on and it sometimes flashes my voltage on the dash reads 11.7-12.2......i tried cleaning the battery terminals tightening them and even jump starting nothing i do with the battery works.... probably not battery??.... i tried cleaning the key and as some one else suggested spraying wd-40 on it...(didnt wok).....THIS IS ALL I KNOW ABOUT THE CAR PROBLEM i have no idea what it could be besides the VAT ..... (what else could be causing thisNO crank situation) and if it is the VAT how can i fix it??????? any suggestions please reply...... I AM ONLY 16 AND THIS IS MY FIRST CAR AND I REALY NEED HELP!!!!!!
Honestly, you need to stop, take 10 steps back, turn and walk away, and get help.

After reading all the postings, my head is spinning.

Going by what you have posted, there was nothing wrong with the car until you picked up a wrench.
As you "fix" other things along the way, it is likely that others things may be busted in the process.

You are over your head and I dont know how to help you when you are attacking a dozen different systems without any logic. Our cars are LOGICAL, they even talk to us ( codes ) and tell us how to fix them ( FSM ), but you have to be methodical and logical.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

i took my battery out and put it back in wen i went to start my car it wouldnt crank or turn over everything else works any suggestions i dont know if its anything like ur problem???
this is my first caddy!!! not liking the technology on them

ohhh yeah its a 1994 cadillac seville sts

first...do you have to do anything wen your changing your battery out besides disconect the wires to the terminals from old battery and conect to new one??? such as something with computer??

second....wat is a OBD code?? what do they do? ive been hearing alot of people talk about them on here... please dont make fun of me im new with caddys and not used to the technology..
not normally ...

OBD are error codes that inform you what is wrong.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

ok, so this is my first post,... i just bought a new (to me) 1994 cadillac sts seville i got home and checked all the fluids oil, coolant etc.... but i dropped my keys behind battery and had to take it out to get them and wen i put it back tightend everything up an tried to start it everything worked in the car but it wouldnt crank???? and the SECURITY light keeps coming on?? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! thank you

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

my dash reading says 11.7-11.9 volts is this a normal a reading?? every thing in my car works it just wont crank.... 1994 seville sts........ ive tryed cleaning the terminals and tightening them nothing works

Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM

well i dont know how to get the "codes" to fix it all i did was check the oil etc... and my keys fell behind the battery and i had to take it out to get them i wasnt trying to fix anything till now....i am used to working on cars with virtually no "technology" .... so how do i pull them up in my car to find out wats wrong? smart guy.... its a 1994 cadillac seville sts....

Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

i just bought my first caddy and wen i got home i checked all my fluids oil coolant etc.... but my keys fell behind the battery and i had to take it out to get them but wen i put back and tightend everything and went to start it it wouldnt crank everything works in the car it JUST WONT CRANK/TURN OVER????? PLEASE HELP!!!!! thank you

Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

well i dont know how to get the "codes" to fix it all i did was check the oil etc... and my keys fell behind the battery and i had to take it out to get them i wasnt trying to fix anything till now....i am used to working on cars with virtually no "technology" .... so how do i pull them up in my car to find out wats wrong? smart guy.... its a 1994 cadillac seville sts....
anyone can work on those antiques ...
But, now you have entered the 20th / 21th century ...

everything you will ever need to make your car sing is right here:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_6733/tm.htm

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM

tahnk you.....but how do i pull up my error codes?

Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

tahnk you.....but how do i pull up my error codes?
go here:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_17425/tm.htm