General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

UTI SCHOOL? GOOD OR BAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Default UTI SCHOOL? GOOD OR BAD

Im thinking about going to uti in houston. Has any one gone to this school? Also where did some of you tech's on this site go to school? You do get ase certified right, depending on what class you take and stuff. any advice would be great bc you know how some schools tell you all this good stuff and then we you go its nothing you expected and end up with a big bill. thks

Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: UTI SCHOOL? GOOD OR BAD

It depends on what your goal is.
I never went to an auto tech school other than what the manufacture provides.
We get young guys in from tech schools all the time. Most don't make it a year.
I don't think the tech schoolgets all theblame, but two years in the field will usually put you much further along than 2 yrs of auto tech.

I did attend a 2yr tech right after high school. It waselectronics and computer technology.
That education put me miles ahead of almosteveryone i have worked with over the years.
Cars are electronics and computers. The nuts and bolts are easy.

ASE is great for getting agood starting payand getting raises. That's about it.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: FLCaddytech

It depends on what your goal is.
I never went to an auto tech school other than what the manufacture provides.
We get young guys in from tech schools all the time. Most don't make it a year.
I don't think the tech schoolgets all theblame, but two years in the field will usually put you much further along than 2 yrs of auto tech.

I did attend a 2yr tech right after high school. It waselectronics and computer technology.
That education put me miles ahead of almosteveryone i have worked with over the years.
Cars are electronics and computers. The nuts and bolts are easy.

ASE is great for getting agood starting payand getting raises. That's about it.

looking at it from his side, wanting to get into a good job with a GM dealership,
what gets him through the door. the 1st step?
what does he need on his resume to get hired?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

One thing that makes or breaks most new techs:

OIL CHANGES!

It is the cornerstone to the service industry.
If you can't do a lube, oil and filter service properly you won't be trusted with anything else.

It sounds simple but really it requires focus and attention to detail.
Not to mention working under pressure and time constraints while being able to inspect the car over for any repairs that may be needed.

I spent my first year out of highschool working at a fast paced Quick lube in the city. I pushed myself to be the best i could at that $7.50 hr job.
When i applied for my first tech job my old boss had nothing but good things to say and i kept that same work ethic up no matter what i was asked to do. Clean the floors, take out the trash, be on time, have a neat and clean appearance. All those things will reward you down the road.

And having a knack for turning wrenches doesn't hurt either.
All the schooling in the world won't make up for a lack of natural talent.

Anyone we hire that does not have hands on tech experience will have to prove themselves on the lube team before they are allowed to do any repairs.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yeah being in the field for 2 years gives you faster n good amount of knowledge BUT there wont be that person there to ask how do I do this every time you have a question. Thats basically what tech school teaches you is how to diagnose n find problems efficiently n properly. UTI in my eyes just gets you to big name car company dealers. I myself just graduated from DCTC up here in Minnesota. I work in the field but its with my own business. I have experience with parts counter along with almost everyting else in the automotive world. If you have a hard time with learning things fast, school is the path for ya because there will be that person or persons to answer questionsand also having the experience from the field. If you have a certain company you like go through their schooling dont bother with UTI. But its your choice. Another thing that can help you out is working at a Auto parts store doing retail gettin you familiar with different vehicles if you havent tried that or done that already.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

IMO, this is an excellent topic for the General Tech.
I have moved it here from the Intro section to keep it from getting lost there.

keep it going guys

Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all the feed back. I think i'll look into the tech school for electronics and computers. I think i might just go to uti next month or so. I already sent out my registration packet. Hey once again thanks for the feed back and more useful info is greatly appreciated. They say if you love doing what you do for a living you'll never work another day in your life. thks

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

Im going to school for automotive but im a little confused about which program i should attend. Im not sure if ASEP is just in florida but its when you go to school to work in a G.M dealership. I can do this or go for my A.S degree which is automotive service managment. Does anybody here have a A.S degree? Do people with this degreee usually not work on cars but do the managment part? Id like to be a technician but come out of school with a degree. The consulers arent to clear on the matter. I relize that all auto schools are different but any input would be great.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Thumbs down is UTI worth it?

I just recently walked out of UTI Chicago. I wouldn't advise anyone to attend there if they were serious about beginning or furthering a career in the automotive industry.
I've been in the field for 15 years now slowly working my way up from an oil changer to a full service tech. I ran into a problem when it came time for me to take some ASE's and I felt that a adult technical school would help further my knowledge and get me ready for testing.
I was wrong. Now don't get me wrong. The instructors, facilities, and material are top notch. However, the student body ,(at least at this campus), was a joke! Constantly disrupting lectures, and lab time, with drama. It seems that this place was much more a daycare than an adult learning facility.
I was under the impression that a learning facilities responsibility was to provide a safe, structured, professional, environment that allows someone to learn. NOT THIS PLACE. If a kid wants to come in there, disrupt and cheat their way through, regardless to what it affects the other students around them. It seems this place encouraged that.
The instructors are powerless to do anything about it. The facility lacks any negative consequence for it. After taking my problems all the way to the campus presidents office, where he acknowledged the issues himself. I was plainly told they can't do anything about it because they had to keep the parents happy and money flowing in, to put it plainly.
I agree 100% with what the other people in this forum have advised. Get in the field you'll learn MORE there. Buy the Motor Age Training books and study them. I've found most good technicians in the field love to pass on knowledge and teach, when they have the time. All I had to do was show respect, pay some dues,(mopping an occasional bay and cleaning up behind them), and be eager to learn.
UTI is a joke! Its a college dump, 80% of the kids at my campus were there cause they couldn't get into an academic college, and their parents wanted them out of the house.
I take this field, and my career serious. I believe that a level of integrity is needed to be a good Technician. Your literally holding peoples lives in your hands when you are doing repair work on their vehicles. I hold myself to a higher standard.
If a kid can't pull up his pants, properly use a $25.00 belt from Sears, and conduct himself in a responsible, professional manner. Would YOU trust him with your $25,000.00 car? I wouldn't.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 AM

dude im about to go to uti in the early enrollment program and is uti good if im all school no bs cause i cant bs i have a kid to make a future for

Quick Reply: UTI SCHOOL? GOOD OR BAD