General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Are these MPG figures True ??? Any replies ???

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Default Are these MPG figures True ??? Any replies ???

This guy is out of his mind. He's saying that cadillacsget lousy gas
mileage in all six different tests. Is he nuts ????
http://hubpages.com/hub/MPG-Of-11-25...-2009-Cadillac

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Are these MPG figures True ??? Any replies ???

All I can say is that I personally get 28 mpg consistently with my Northstar powered Deville on Highway trips. Right now it is showing 21.3 mpg after Driving 500 plus kilometers from my cottage up north last Friday and driving to work and all over Toronto all week, today is Thursday. Once the cold weather starts next month the mpg will drop but I rarely average less that 16 mpg in all big city driving in the cold of winter. We just have to accept, it's Canada, it gets cold and it snows.

I have made a effort to alter my driving habits but watching traffic flow indicates to me that 90% of others have not. I especially shake my head at all of the SUV drivers who have to show the Old Guy in the Caddy how much power they have by leaving me in their dust at lights.I know because I have one too and my wife consistently gets 900 to 1100 km per tankfull in our Suburban.

It's all in the right foot.

To all those who say to me you should trade the Caddy in on an Accord or Camry, I say FO! Why would I trade a car that is paid for, take on a $400 monthly payment just to get maybe 32 mpg on the highway and save $20 per week! That is economics that does not make sense. That is why us Caddy lovers are happy, the frenzie to ditch V8 cars and trucks has just made them all that more affordable.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Are these MPG figures True ??? Any replies ???

in the past few weeks I been watching the fuel economy and to my surprise, the Allante gets around 16 mpg in town but there is a catch. when i go through an area with lots of stop lights the mpg drops and drops by HUGE amounts. often to as much as 10 mpg by the 3rd day of having reset the avg fuel economy.

either the cities have to get their S**** together with traffic control,
we can turn off the engines on long stop lights (they do that in Switzerland by law), or
GM has to come up with a SAVE FUEL mode at the stop lights like shut off half of the fuel injectors - so the car will idles rough, who cares.

Now I see how the hybrids stay up on economy .. their engines do not run at stop lights. I turned off the engine at all STOP lights for one day, the difference was about 4 mpg, MY FRIENDS, THAT is about 30% difference. But i do not think our starters and flywheels are designed to do that and I would not recommend it.

I timed them, and some of our STOP lights at 5 corner intersections are as long as 4 minutes. I may consider a couple of those now and then.

When I drive the go around routes, the car stays within the 14 to 16 mpg. Unfortunately, I cant do that all the time.

Doing a bit of research on the topic I run into this unrelated topic .. or is it?

"Driving near and through intersections is one of the most complex challenges that drivers face.
Intersection crashes account for more than 45 percent of all reported crashes, and 21 percent of fatalities.
In 2003, 9,213 Americans lost their lives as a result of intersection-related crashes."

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersections/index.htm