General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techs helping an all sorts of issues !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Replacing radiator on 98 deville. Metal oil cooling lines on bottom driverside are snap in. Female fittings on radiator are threaded. I was told just swap the line fittings for threaded ones. Do i cut the metal lines and splice the fittings on wit a rubber hose? Not sure if that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Thank you, im new here, already posted a thread, great advice, hoping to find my way around, and stay for a while, had many cadis, this is a great site.. Glad to join, thanks to all the tecs, i am grateful

Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Default 2000 Cadillac deville fuel gauge problems?

Today I dropped off my car to my local mechanic someone I trust. Anyways my fuel gauge is all out of whack. He changed out a fuel level sensor with a new one and I'm still getting the same old problem. What seems to be the problem?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Default 2000 Cadillac deville Major Antifreeze Leak?

I recently purchased a 2000 Cadillac deville at first it need a TPS sensor Crankshaft sensor replaced upper and lower, Fuel level sensor replaced the whole pump, and a heater core flush because my heater would only blow warm but got warmer while accelerating. Today was the first time I took it on a hike of 50 miles. I got back home and soon as I pulled in my driveway I noticed a very small hint of white smoke coming from the front right apron. Before turning the car off I check my temp gauge and was at normal temp. Then turned the car off open my door and noticed alot of antifreeze just pouring out. It was dark outside so I couldn't tell exactly where the leak was coming from. I grabbed my flash light and noticed antifreeze on the serpentine belt but I couldn't see where exactly where it's coming from. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Default 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville Sputtering/Chugging at 30 MPH and Air Conditioning leak

I'm a noob so I hope this is the right place to get an answer or possible help. Anyway I tend to be long winded and pretty technical so I apologize ahead of time, but here it goes. I have a 1987 Cadillac Sedan Deville with only 46,xxx original miles and it is having some issues. The car has a chugging/sputtering thing going on which only seems to happen when I am cruising around 30 mph. It almost feels like it is going to die but then lunges then chugs then lunges then chugs. Bad news is it only does this sporadically. It also has a slight hesitation when taking off from a stop. It also has a slight shake/shutter to it when at idle but not bad. I have been told it could be so many things, fuel filter, fuel injectors, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, map sensor, vacuum leak, catalytic converter, transmission (which I highly doubt because it shifts smooth and goes through all gears properly) but that sounds like a lot of $ to replace it all and the fact that it only does it sporadically I almost need a mechanic to drive it for a week so he can see it do it and have it not make a liar out of me. I bought the car in April of 2012 so I have only had it for 14 months and have barely put 1000 miles on it. About a month after I bought the car I was giving a guy a jump start in the rain and I had my hood open and out of nowhere my exhaust starting to get real heavy and thick and it smelled like rotten eggs which I know is a sign of a bad catalytic converter but I was wondering if the rain got into something under my hood which could have caused this. It has never smelled like rotten eggs since, just that one time. Also it has ran like this since I bought the car and I figured it just needed a tune up when I test drove it. It did have a growl under the hood but I had that fixed after one mechanic told me it was the smog pump but it ended up being the water pump pulley so both the smog pump and water pump have both been replaced as well as a new serpentine belt. The voltage on the car is good, 14+ volts. When I first got the car the air condition was cold all spring and summer of 2012 but every once in a while the service air conditioning light would come on but it would still blow cold air. This spring is a different story. On our first hot day in April I turned the temperature to 60 degrees and the service air conditioning light came on and I had no cold air plus it did the whole kicking the auto mode to econ mode which I do know is to protect the air compressor when you are out of refrigerant. It was already converted to r134a when I bought the car. Well the same mechanic who told me it was the smog pump making the growling noise also recharged my refrigerant and ran dye through it and found a leak at one of the connectors. Well that didn't last long because about 3 weeks later it all leaked out again but here is the weird thing...it was a very humid night and I was driving 30 mph and it started doing that chugging/sputtering thing so I decided to floor it from a stop sign to "work out the cobwebs" but I did have the air conditioning on because my windows were fogging up so the temperature was set at 60 degrees but I had it on defrost and the second I floored it I lost all cold air and my service air conditioning light came on so I assume I lost all my refrigerant. Well I took it to another mechanic, which was the mechanic who told me that my water pump pulley was making the growling noise in which he was correct, and had him recharge the refrigerant and he ran dye as well but said he couldn't find a leak but that there is a leak and I would have to wait a few weeks until his dye would show the leak. Well what it is doing at this exact time is my air is cold, no service air conditioning light BUT I notice that if I'm at a stop sign it isn't hardly cold at all but as soon as I start to accelerate it starts to blow cold. It also is good and cold at idle, only when it's in gear does it not seem to be as cold at a complete stop. Any opinions on where to start or what is going on would be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 PM

1990 eldorado new injectors from 98 explorer service engine light is on erratic idle replaced isc motor and PS sensor help

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Default siffin or ?

hi, i have to store my dads 93 fleetwood brougham for a coulpe years, just wondering the best way to get the fuel out of the tank,,,can i just stick a hose in the filler, and siffen, is there something in there that will not let you siffen,,,the car is uninsured, so i can not drive it,,,
oh ya, its a small 350ci throttle body
thanks for your help

Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM

2004 CTS Keep getting starting disabled remove key. Follow key relearn procedure and car starts,sits overenight and same issue. Anybody have an idea?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 AM

I have a 97 Eldorado Base.
I wish to replace the Gear Shift **** (which is leather) it is worn and rather nasty.
This **** has a finger activated detent of some sort which unlocks the trans. in order to shift gears.
I wish to replace the **** with a Leather or Wood ****.
Question is HOW IS THIS **** REMOVED & REINSTALLED?
Any help is appreciated.
Art.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

Using small flat blade screw driver to remove staple style clip from dash side of handle. As far handle you will have to search for one designed for shifter.

Quick Reply: Techs helping an all sorts of issues !!!