General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starts but doesnt start well

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starts but doesnt start well

And a damn good question at that. The problem with weak batteries is that the charging system can bring them back up while driving, its when they sit that the go flat. When you jump into the car to start you are calling on Cold Cranking Amps and this is were you might be weak. The starter draws hard and the CCA fall off and theengine drags and is slow to catch. Have the battery checked to be sure.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Yeah I kind of figured that... the car came from Florida, so it probably doesnt have high cold cranking amps...
In the summer it should be ok, and then I replace it in winter.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

In the summer the A/C can draw on the CCA as well, even though the name doesn't really fit when it is 80 degrees. Always a good idea to turn off the A/C when you park so there is no large draw when you start.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah the battery is under the rear seat right? ON the drivers side? How do I get to it?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Deville, My wife's aunt has an STS but other than sitting back thereI am not familar with your seating . You need to get the cushion off. Usually seats are attcahed with spring type clips and sometimes a few bolts. Check for bolts under the carpet just below the seating cushions. To release the clips you usually need to push down and backon the seat cushion . I also understand that if abattery isn’t properly vented it can let sulfuric acid fumes into the area under the rear seat cushion. These fumes can damage your rear seat safety belt systems and the safety belts might not provide the protection needed in a crash. When you replace the battery make sure it isvented in the same manner as the original battery. Make sure that the vent hose is properly reattached before reinstalling the seat cushion and make sure you get a properly vented battery.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Yeah the battery shold be under the hood....

Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

As I mentioned I have a Deville. Some years Seville / STS were in back seat but Deville is underhood on passenger side. The two cars are very similar in layout. It will be easy to find but could be under a plastic cover. In either case you should look into getting another one or at minimum getting it load tested.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 PM

I just remember I did take the battery to the shop & had it tested they stated everything was fine. They hooked up connections under the hood.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

So do you still experience the difficulty in starting? I'd double check the connections.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM

Yeah....
I went under the seat & found the battery... it has an 880 Amp A/C Delco in it. There is this rubber hose that fits over the belt I dont know what it does, but I broke one of the pieces that it connects into...

It was 70 degrees here today... started car a couple times earlry today & drove it...

Started it again later on when I was leaving the store and the car shifted into gear went a few feet then died.....re-started no problem... what do you think is wrong?

Quick Reply: Starts but doesnt start well