General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starts but doesnt start well

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Default Starts but doesnt start well

My 00 STS seems to have trouble starting sometimes... dont know if it could be the starter or something else what do you guys think?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starts but doesnt start well

We need more information, does the starter turn over? Does the starter drag? OR does it take a while to catch and fire up?Where do you live, temperature, last oil change?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM

I live in Cleveland, Ohio... Temp has been around 25-35 degrees... Its take a while to catch up & fire and it does drag. Has an oil change every 3000 miles.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks AaronJP, I live in Canada, Toronto, so starting is a problem here all winter that's why I asked temp and climate. My Deville is good but our Suburban started to drag and take a bit to fire two weeks ago. I know this is may be obvious but I just went out and got a new battery. My wife uses the big rig to take the kids to and from school so I did not want any hassle of a dead battery. A new battery just lights the Vortec right up now. The cold really drags the batteries down and the Big GMC had the original Delco in it which was now 7 years old. I got a 96 month warranty unit for $114, so not a big expense.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Yeah that sounds like a good idea... but im also thinkink it could be the ground or ignition...

Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Has it never started at any time? The starter ground could be an issue. On my hobby car a few years back it would just not start sometimes. I'd pop the hood and then I'd hear the fan blower come on get back in and presto. Turns out it was the ground to the starter being loose was the problem and me popping the hood was enough motion to complete the circuit. If you have the original Delco battery I'd say its getting long in the tooth but checking and cleaning all connections is always a good first steup.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Yeah maybe what I should probably do is check the battery... make sure the ground is not loose... what about anything with the ignigtion?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

No wires, Coil packs over plugs on 2000?

Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM

I had the exact same problem, and it was my battery.I had it replaced at the Cadillac dealer in my area, and I never had another problem. It was around $200.00 dollars,but I wanted to insure I kept it at factory specs. Everyone has their own beliefs, I'm positive any battery will do, as long as it has the factory specs, regarding cold cranking amps.

04 White Diamond Caddy- the last of the full size Sevilles

Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tonythemongoose

I had the exact same problem, and it was my battery.I had it replaced at the Cadillac dealer in my area, and I never had another problem. It was around $200.00 dollars,but I wanted to insure I kept it at factory specs. Everyone has their own beliefs, I'm positive any battery will do, as long as it has the factory specs, regarding cold cranking amps.
I agree 100% with tonythemongoose in using a replacement GM AC Delco battery on the Cadillac. In fact I always use GM/Cadillac parts, the only way to go!

Quick Reply: Starts but doesnt start well