General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter or key ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Default Starter or key ignition issue

99 Cadillac DeVille I started the car the other day and the starter stays engaged it took about 3 minutes for it to disengage. Now today it won't disengage even if I turn the key off it still wants to keep starting it up, the starter just keeps going then have to disconnect battery to make it stop. Could it be the ignition switch or maybe the contact points in the solenoid. I will try to find the ignition wire and try to start the car and test the wire when you let the key go to see if the power stops. If it don't then that should be the ignition switch any help is greatly appreciated... And once when I park the car to get out to unlock my gate car running I got back in and dash said security system was gonna shut the car off because it couldn't recognize the key but i wiggled key and car stood running. I don't know if that helps or not but it's the original key got a little the black pellet with the little metal straight line in it on both sides

Last edited by 99 devilled; 01-27-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Remembered more