General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Question Should I buy?!

Hello all. New member here.
I'm a mechanic at PepBoys (high class, I know). So that's the background on my experience.

A friend of mine has a 96 Eldorado ETC and was about to sell it to PickYourPart for $250!!! But the crazy part is, this thing is CHERRY. Beautiful paint, tint, interior. All amazing condition. He tells me the tranny is stuck in 2nd and won't go past 40mph. I'm thinking shift solenoid and I did some research on the forums and found out that's most likely the case. So I told him to hold off and let me do some research because I might be interested in buying it. He's got 4 other vehicles anyways so he just wants to get rid of it.

On to my main question. Would it be worth it to buy the car from him? It seems like the deal of a lifetime. The engine runs beautifully and no codes come up. So it doesn't seem to me like it would just turn into another one of my money pits sitting in the driveway.

I understand there's tons of other threads about this, I just need a tiny bit of advice and I'll be on my merry way.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by rvanderbrug
Hello all. New member here.
I'm a mechanic at PepBoys (high class, I know). So that's the background on my experience.

A friend of mine has a 96 Eldorado ETC and was about to sell it to PickYourPart for $250!!! But the crazy part is, this thing is CHERRY. Beautiful paint, tint, interior. All amazing condition. He tells me the tranny is stuck in 2nd and won't go past 40mph. I'm thinking shift solenoid and I did some research on the forums and found out that's most likely the case. So I told him to hold off and let me do some research because I might be interested in buying it. He's got 4 other vehicles anyways so he just wants to get rid of it.

On to my main question. Would it be worth it to buy the car from him? It seems like the deal of a lifetime. The engine runs beautifully and no codes come up. So it doesn't seem to me like it would just turn into another one of my money pits sitting in the driveway.

I understand there's tons of other threads about this, I just need a tiny bit of advice and I'll be on my merry way.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

duhhhh !

if you cant fix/replace the trani, one door will fetch $250 on craigslist .. after that, its a gold mine.

as to pepboys, i think most are just fine for most work as long as it entails R&R automotive components .. not sure about trans/engine overhauls.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 PM

+1 for buy it!

WORST case is you put in a rebuilt trans.

but like you said it probably something smaller like a solenoid.

Not to mention you should have access to do***entation for it through your work?

if not get all data diy. 1000 times better than haynes. but not quite as good as factory service manual.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Thumbs up

thanks guys. i really appreciate the help.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

DO YOU OWN IT YET???? RUN AND GET IT!!!!!
rickyd

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM

+2 for buy it!!!! It sounds like you have the know-how to get that Eldo back on the road. If your married tell the wife "its your next car dear".

Old 02-20-2010, 03:05 AM

Yes should tell you wife......