General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Really LOUD noise 96 cadillac eldorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Default Really LOUD noise 96 cadillac eldorado

hi everyone. recently my 96 eldorado started making this really loud high pitched whistle. And when i say loud i mean really loud. It is coming from somewhere around the passenger side of the engine compartment. sometimes it will not do it but most of the time it does it. It seems to dissipate when i am on the gas but gets louder when at idle. I thought maybe it had to do with the alternator being bad so i took the belt off and the noise stayed the same. Any help is highly appreciated.

=======================
mod edit
title

Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Really LOUD noise

ORIGINAL: rockfangd

hi everyone. recently my 96 eldorado started making this really loud high pitched whistle. And when i say loud i mean really loud. It is coming from somewhere around the passenger side of the engine compartment. sometimes it will not do it but most of the time it does it. It seems to dissipate when i am on the gas but gets louder when at idle. I thought maybe it had to do with the alternator being bad so i took the belt off and the noise stayed the same. Any help is highly appreciated.
if you took off the belt, nothing is spinning .. then, it sounds like a vacuum leak, hoses or gaskets.
also, check the PCV valve if your car has one.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: stomper

ORIGINAL: rockfangd

if you took off the belt, nothing is spinning .. then, it sounds like a vacuum leak, hoses or gaskets.
also, check the PCV valve if your car has one.

Ok yes i took the belt off and nothing changed. I checked both pcv valves and they were fine, no change. It is so tight under the hood that is almost impossible to see anything under there. I try looking and i cant even pinpoint exactly where the noise is. any ideas if anything is common to going bad. The noise is quite ear peircing lol. It makes me think the engine is going to blow up. between the oil leak and the coolant issue and now this i am afraid. I dont even really drive it because it already left me stranded once when it out of nowhere overheated??? everything i look at says pull the engine

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM

I had the same problem, but my anti-freeze was also disappearing. I tried a new thermostat and water pump but still had the problems. Finally just got the head gaskets done at a Cadillac dealership and everything's been cool since then, 1 month later. It cost $1400.Hope that helps.