General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet whirring sound / noise from steering column when turning left???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Default Quiet whirring sound / noise from steering column when turning left???

I just acquired a 2001 Deville (my first ever Cadillac) with a problem I can't figure out. When the steering wheel is turned to the left while driving, there is a soft but distinct whirring noise that sounds like it's coming from the general area of the steering column, possibly from the right side.

It's not so loud that you'd hear it with the radio on - or even with a window slighty open- but it's irritating as hell and also a little concerning until I find out what it is. When travelling in a straight line - or even making a right turn - the car does not produce this sound. Can anyone please offer any advice? Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Quiet whirring sound / noise from steering column when turning left???

Only thing I can think of is the outter tie-rod or inner tie-rod needing grease or replacement. Have somebody listen on that side while you turn the wheel with the car running.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Quiet whirring sound / noise from steering column when turning left???

There is a asperator on dash on the right side of column that can cause the noise your discribing. However it should not be effected by turning.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've now shown the car to 3 experienced service engineers including one at Devoe Cadillac of Naples FL.

Frankly, none of them seemed terribly clear about what was actually causing the noise, but on the other hand, none of them felt it was anything to worry about either.

So, the whirring is still there and it still concerns me slightly, but it looks like the cause of it will remain a mystery for the time being at least. I just hope they're all correct in assuming that it's harmless. I'll update here if there's any more news on the subject. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM

sorry, I know this is an old post, but did anyone figure out what this noise is, 01 DTS doing a simialr thing a very low noise but only does it when there is no load on steering just sitting there as soon as you move the wheel a smiggen (sp?), either left or right, it goes away. to me it sounds like electrical interferance like when you on a cordless phone and you pick up interference from a CB or something. but it is coming from the steering wheel area and goes away with steering wheel movement.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by dksob81
sorry, I know this is an old post, but did anyone figure out what this noise is, 01 DTS doing a simialr thing a very low noise but only does it when there is no load on steering just sitting there as soon as you move the wheel a smiggen (sp?), either left or right, it goes away. to me it sounds like electrical interferance like when you on a cordless phone and you pick up interference from a CB or something. but it is coming from the steering wheel area and goes away with steering wheel movement.
i believe that to be a different issue .. get the PS pump checked.