General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northstar Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Default Northstar Rear Main Seal

I am going to be replacing a RMS in a northstar engine (00 Deville DTS) and I know there is a special tool to remove and install the seal but can this be done without this tool?

Any hint/tips/tricks to doing this job would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a big job and not for the beginner - I am a mechanic by trade but I am doing this for a friend in my free time.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Certified Members

Before going into the replacement on the seal I would confirm that the oil leak is from the seal and not from the case half. The northstar has a 2 piece block. The sealing surface between the two halves is very common to leak oil. It can be tricky to diag and is alot of work to replace. Alot of people think it is a rear main but come to find out it the case half. Now regarding replacing the rear main seal. I have done a few and dont have the special tool myself. I took a small drill bit and drilled a couple holes only part way through the seal. If you are not careful you can mess up the block. I used the small holes to put a couple screws in and use a pair of vice grips to hold the screws and a small pry bar to very carefully work the seal out. As far as install goes find something that is the correct diameter of the seal and carefull use a deadblow hammer to lightly tap it in place until it is in.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the info. What all is involved in replacing the HALF CASE SEAL?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

First off the engine has to be out of the car to do it properly. I have heard of it done in the car but I always felt you will get it sealed the best out of the car and upside down.(Engine in car, oil can drip down and make it hard to seal block quick enough). Pretty much you are removing the oil pan, and the bottom half of the block which acts as the main caps(hold the crankshaft). It is a big chunk of aluminum the oil pan bolts to and it bolts to the block. Once I can get back onto the program I use for car repair info I will give you more detail on the procedure.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Ok, I know what part your talking about, I bought a Service Manual - I will have to look and see if the HALF CASE SEAL procedure is in there.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM

I am going to remove the engine, because I am going to do the Rear Main Seal also (along with the valve cover gaskets)

Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 AM

Is the a gasket for the half case seal or do you just use RTV?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

Stock is a gasket. but when you repair you use an rtv. I used the grey colored (Right Stuff) brand. It says for imports on it but it worked great. Or im sure you can get something from the dealership if you prefer.