General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Cadi stories and advice for anyone with a overheating Northstar.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Default hana's 97 eldo

I have a 1997 eldorado.
It has a noise in the front left wheel when I turn sometimes.
Is the front drive axle going bad?
How is it replaced?
I have friends who could help me if they have the right information.
I just got the car for 600.00 and it has problems.
First things first and I think I will start with THIS noise.
Its good to see your works with the overheating problem.
Its going on with this one.
Thanks for the help.

by the way
what does WOT mean?
And what is time-serted mean?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM

A clicking noise while turning would suggest a failed CV joint. Take the wheel off and inspect it, if the boot is cracked and all the grease has been thrown out it needs to be replaced. To remove the CV shaft you need to first remove the brake caliper, rotor, tie rod end, sway bar link, and separate the lower ball joint. Then you carefully pull and/or pry it out of the transmission taking care not to damage the oil seal on the transmission. WOT means "wide open throttle". A time-sert is a thread repair kit used by GM to repair damaged threads on the Northstar. It is similar to a heli-coil.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Cool

Just to add a bit to the excellent reply above. A drive axle is now a very affordable replacement. I bought my last one from Advance Auto for my 97 deville for about $40 and it works great.
The other thing I'd mention is that GM shops for time-serts are a very expensive proposition. I just had mine done for about 1/3 of what a GM shop would charge by a Rochester, NY shop owned by a 20 year Cadillac repair tech and it's like a new car. Holds 196-206 degrees all day on highway trips now and 2 months ago was seeing 239....
If you're in that geographic area, reply here and I'll get you the shop name. I have a posting elsewhere on this forum about that repair. Search for Cadillac head gasket and you'll find it.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM

I've heard about the cars overheating when on the highway, but my 2000 sls runs perfect on the e-way. It's when I'm in traffic, at idle, or sitting at a red light for too long when the needle goes past 12 o'clock at the temp gauge. For some reason it also has a significant shake/vibration at the same time. Guys have you experienced any of this? It's been driving me crazy for the past few months.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Default Idle rough running

Just reading your post.
I am having the same issue, only had my 1999 STS for a week, was running fine then on tickover has a slight hiccup , I suspect a dirty injector or a bad spark plug.
When the engine is warmed up and I am on idle in traffic or parked up, a few times the temp needle has moved just off the 12 o'clock Mark, then the engine starts running very lumpy as the cooling fans cut in, this has made the engine stall sometimes.
On the run it drives well and does not seem to have any problems although there is a tapping from the front belt end cylinder.

I have also noticed a clicking from the belt tensioner when you rev the engine.

Also noted that the engine oil which was changed with the filter by the last owner is overfilled above the max Mark on the dipstick by about an inch, what problems would this cause.

Any ideas anyone.

One theory I have is that maybe when the temp goes up a little the overheat detector kicks in and runs half the engine and one of those cylinders it chooses is the one with the iffy plug or whatever it is.
Not sure how soon the system should kick in but the temp does not reach the next Mark after the 12 o'clock Mark.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Intermittent misfires can be tricky, but definitely start with the basics. My 2000 Seville misfired for about 10 seconds after I started it when I first bought it, but after I gave it some exercise and used only top tier gas it went away on its own but it took about 2 weeks. So carbon buildup in the combustion chamber is one possibility. The most I've seen an engine overfilled with oil is 1 quart, and it didn't cause any problem, so you'll probably be fine.