General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

escalade navigation trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Default escalade navigation trouble

My battery recently died in my 06 Escalade and I had to use a charger pack to start my truck. I went the next day and got a new battery and now my navigation screen freezes up whenever I try and put in a new address. The rest of the system seem to be fine and everything else seem to work OK. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Default Check the battery connections

Originally Posted by Rick C
My battery recently died in my 06 Escalade and I had to use a charger pack to start my truck. I went the next day and got a new battery and now my navigation screen freezes up whenever I try and put in a new address. The rest of the system seem to be fine and everything else seem to work OK. Anyone have any suggestions?
Rick C,

I was just thumbing through the Service manual for a 2005 Escalade and was looking at the GPS Units. Is this an OEM or an Aftermarket unit?

If OEM see below for the battery info and start there. If Aftermarket then you need to check all of the accessories that go along with the wiring on that unit as well as below (additional Ground to battery terminal connections, Antenna ground under dashboard (may be loose), any external antenna's that may have been connected to the vehicle)

Apparently replacing the battery (while a good thing), can cause a couple of issues. The manual tells you to check everything at that end.

You need to make sure that several things are checked:
1. Make sure that there is no dirt or carbon scoring on the inside of the battery terminals, if so clean them or replace them.
2. check the battery posts, if they are dirty due to #1, clean them also
3. ensure that the battery connectors are pushed all the way to the bottom of the posts on the battery. I had a mustang with a DVD/GPS Unit that went funky due to this issue. if they are not then they are creating small "Arcs" or "shocks" to the electrical system due to a poor connection.

If none of the above work then you may need to have someone take a look at the DIM/Power Module (DIM = Dashboard Integration Module), as one of these may be the culprit.

I hope that one of these solve it for ya'

CadiKam