General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Missfire 99 Northstar engine

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Default Missfire 99 Northstar engine

I am trying to narrow the problem down. I have a code PO 300 missfire detected I also have a code PO 741 I cannot find this one in the chart I have. I fealt the engine missing before the code even detected it.
There is no code stating a coil pack system or anything. I don't know what the 741 code is so I would like to ask if anyone knows what it is.
Also would it be sparkplugs.

I would appreciate any input if available

Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by robmcl
I am trying to narrow the problem down. I have a code PO 300 missfire detected I also have a code PO 741 I cannot find this one in the chart I have. I fealt the engine missing before the code even detected it.
There is no code stating a coil pack system or anything. I don't know what the 741 code is so I would like to ask if anyone knows what it is.
Also would it be sparkplugs.

I would appreciate any input if available
I did a little more serching I still have the missfire but the PO741 code is TCC stuck off meaning the troque converter is not locking up in 4th gear to save about anothe 200 rpm.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

the missfire you are having may be due to a few things so you might want to start with plugs and wires and go from there. If you had a scan tool to tell you what cylinder it is you could pin point it easier than the method i will tell u.

while car is running pull off one of the sparkplug boots one at a time
put the sparkplug boot back on if the miss gets worse. do this until the one you pull off causes the engine to not change. that will be the one that has the miss. check wires and coils for damages or any need of replacement.

If that method doesnt work,then turn car off (let it cool) and pull out all the spark plugs and see which one is black or fouled out.

Let me know what you come up with

as for the tcc you just need to have it replaced.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM

when is the vehicle more noticeable with the miss while driving under heavy load or at idle.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gmtechs
when is the vehicle more noticeable with the miss while driving under heavy load or at idle.

At Idle it seams to be smooth if I give a little throttle it get lumpy.
On driving it seams to miss on acceleration.
I changed the plugs it did not get better but one plug was cracked.
I am thinking wires or fuel filter. I also checked for vaccuum leaks and the air filter is clean. I did not see any wire arching while running the engine in the dark that would indicate bad wires.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 AM
Default misfire

Have you thought about the MAF sensor??That was the problem I had...

Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 PM

If you have a spark tester i would pull each wire out and test that will tell you if you have a bad wire. If you dont have one and its missing under load have somebody in the car power braking it until you get a miss then pull 1 wire off at a time till you get no change in the motor,that will be the bad wire.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM

be careful with a spark tester because the system use two spark plugs together.

say 1 and 4 if u have the spark tester on 1 no 4 is the ground . its and same the other way

the best way to test a wire is measure it first see what the resistance is usually from 3 to 5 k ohms depending on length

next get a spray bottle with water and soap spray the wires see if u see or hear arcing
this works get in dark shows up fast

u could have a bad injector as well
the best way to solve this is to find someone with a live scanner
more may be happening then u know

usually under load u have a break down of something
or u need more power caddy are designed to go down to 4 cylinders and back up on demand so it can be a little trick because u think one thing and its something else

a plugged cat with give miss fire lack of power
a fuel filter will do the same
bad gas does all kinds of crazy stuff
that p0741 code with the tranny can also cause your problem

there are lots of things may be better to take it somewhere and let them scan it then fix it
find someone with a gm tech2 or something like that save u a lot of time and money

Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Certified Members

The P0741 code is more likely a symptom/result of the engine misfire. You need to find/correct the problem with the misfire first, then diagnose the P0741, if it still comes up.
I've had a TON of problems with the coils/ignition modules on my '94. I keep a complete spare set-up in the trunk just in case, for that reason. It always starts with a slight misfire under acceleration, and gradually gets worse. I don't even bother figuring out which one it is...I just replace the whole shooting match, and I'm done for at least another year or so. I've already been thru the changing of the wires, EGR, plugs, etc. Mine has always wound up being a failed coil.
P0300 is a "generic" misfire code...it doesn't specify which cylinder is misfiring. A better scanner will be able to give misfire data, or get into into Mode 6 and determine WHICH cylinder(s) is out of whack.
hth