General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MAJOR MYSTERY!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Default MAJOR MYSTERY!!!!!!!!

Hi All,
Need some help here!!
Let me run this by you all. Right-My 68 Fleetwood has lifter noise on startup for about 2 or 3 seconds. Nothing unusual there,I know. I thought putting some fresh oil and a filter would help the old girl. I drained the oil,replaced the bung,unscrewed the old filter and replaced it with a fresh one. Put in new Kendal 20/50 oil,replaced the oilfiller cap and then started the old girl up....... That's when the trouble started!!!! I started her up,keeping the revs to a minimum until the oil got round the pump etc,but the oil light doesn't go out and the engine rattles as there is obviously zero oil pressure. What the hell could've gone wrong?????
I'm baffled. I have today filled the oil filter with oil just incase there could be an airlock,but still no joy?!?! I then removed the pump housing for inspection. .All parts seem fine.No burrsor scores on any parts.HELP!!!
ANY IDEAS>>>>>ANYONE??? Got this car on my mechanics best ramp and he's double booked and needs it gone or I pay his lost earnings!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: MAJOR MYSTERY!!!!!!!!

This one will be fun. Well if it were me, I would purchase a cheaper aftermarket oil pressure gauge and hook it up (since I dont have any particular tool). Since that is hooked up you can read the pressure instead of seeing a light stay on, you will know more of what is actually happening to verify no pressure or adequate pressure or not enough.

Can you describe the knocking/rattling more? whats the speed of the sound & how fast does it take to occur also.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: caddykev

Hi All,
Need some help here!!
Let me run this by you all. Right-My 68 Fleetwood has lifter noise on startup for about 2 or 3 seconds. Nothing unusual there,I know. I thought putting some fresh oil and a filter would help the old girl. I drained the oil,replaced the bung,unscrewed the old filter and replaced it with a fresh one. Put in new Kendal 20/50 oil,replaced the oilfiller cap and then started the old girl up....... That's when the trouble started!!!! I started her up,keeping the revs to a minimum until the oil got round the pump etc,but the oil light doesn't go out and the engine rattles as there is obviously zero oil pressure. What the hell could've gone wrong?????
I'm baffled. I have today filled the oil filter with oil just incase there could be an airlock,but still no joy?!?! I then removed the pump housing for inspection. .All parts seem fine.No burrsor scores on any parts.HELP!!!
ANY IDEAS>>>>>ANYONE??? Got this car on my mechanics best ramp and he's double booked and needs it gone or I pay his lost earnings!!!!!

this dont sound good ...
a blockage dont make sense .. not for the whole engine .. unless .. the oil filter is blocked.
you pulled the new oil filter and it was not full?

is this a new car for you? do you know what kind of oil it had ?

is the pump pumping? test it. how? remove oil filter, disconnect coil, crank engine for 3 seconds w/o the filter and oil should pour out through the oil filter hook up if pump is working.

if pump works, put another oil filter, even the old one.

what ever you do, dont run it until you figure what is going on or you will fry the engine.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks for your help stomper and big 500!
Well to update y'all.Last night I flicked through my 68 big bible and couldn't even see a pic of my oilpump but just happened to have an old Chilterns general maintenence book. In there it says ,afterremoving an oilpump,sand the base to close the gap between the pump gears and the casting face to improve oil pressure.This I did. It also said to totally fill the gearwheel housing with petrolium jelly. This seemed strange but I had nothing to loose. Today I relayed these instructions to my mechanic and Hey presto! Oil pressure. WAAHEEEYYY!!!! Guess there must've been an airlock or something?? Never happened before on any car I've owned!!
Really gratefull to you guys for coming up with replies so quickly.I'm based in the UK so it's fantastic to have technical advice from people who live and breath these autos. RESPECT!!
Till the next time. Best Wishes, Kev.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: caddykev

Thanks for your help stomper and big 500!
Well to update y'all.Last night I flicked through my 68 big bible and couldn't even see a pic of my oilpump but just happened to have an old Chilterns general maintenence book. In there it says ,afterremoving an oilpump,sand the base to close the gap between the pump gears and the casting face to improve oil pressure.This I did. It also said to totally fill the gearwheel housing with petrolium jelly. This seemed strange but I had nothing to loose. Today I relayed these instructions to my mechanic and Hey presto! Oil pressure. WAAHEEEYYY!!!! Guess there must've been an airlock or something?? Never happened before on any car I've owned!!
Really gratefull to you guys for coming up with replies so quickly.I'm based in the UK so it's fantastic to have technical advice from people who live and breath these autos. RESPECT!!
Till the next time. Best Wishes, Kev.
i guess with age, these pumps need to be "primed" .. what you call air lock, is a need for many fluid pumps to be primed. be glad you can get to your oil pump w/o pulling out the engine.

glad you got her running.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Certified Members

Yeah, kev thats great all you needed was a primed pump in the end. Butusing petroleum jelly isnt too outta this world for assisting in creating suction for the pump. Both engine oil& petroleumjelly are madefrom crude oil.

And what Stomper said, be glad you didnt have to pull the engine. I know I would be for sure.
I hope she keeps on running strong! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM

Thanks guys!
Know what you mean bout not having to pull the lump! That'd be a heart breaker.
Happy cruizin y'all!