General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jerky

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Default jerky

hi everybody. iam a new member. i have 1988 fleetwood brougham. the problem iam having is that the engine misses in the speed range of 40-50 mph. the car otherwise is in good condition. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: jerky

Hey Rocket: About your miss-- check the distributor cap for any cracks or chips in it. Next check all electrical connections in the engine compartment. Pull each one apart clean and scratch the surface with a screw driver and then put back together. Are your plug wires in good shape?? There should be no cracks in them. Problem could also be the distributor module. This piece could cost you a few dollars so check everything else out first. Which engine do you have in your car??

Old 11-11-2006, 10:58 PM

hi and thanks for the quick reply. i have a 307 in the car. its a rwd.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM

brougham 1, i put in a can of stp gas treatment as was suggested. the trouble seems to have gotten much better. i was wondering if i could get an explanation on how the auto. choke works in this car. i think its a 4 barrel rochester. is it a mechanical or electrical operated choke? thanks again for your help.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Certified Members

Hey Rocket: This carb. in your car can be a number of variations. The model identification goes as follows: The first number on the carb. model code is the number of barrels, while one of the last letters indicates the choke used. V is for manifold mounted choke coil, C is for choke coil mounted in the carb. body, E is for electric choke, A indicates an alttiude compensating carb. I think yours will be E4MC but check to make sure. Let me know for sure which model and I can give you some choke adjustment specs. to see if the choke is within the spec. range. Good luck.