General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Are Door Pillar Covers Attached ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Default How Are Door Pillar Covers Attached ?

Does anyone know how the door pillar covers (?) are attached? I have a 04 SLS and noticed while washing the car last week, that the door pillar material on the driver’s door has a slight bow. It’s not bad, but it is no longer in line with the rear door pillar cover… I can push on it in to re-align.

Did a search on pillars, but didn’t find anything related … Tom

Old 09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

wisctom... if i know what you mean... they snap into place.. give it a try and let us know how you make out. good luck
rickyd

second thought... the clip has probobly worked it way loose somehow. possibly you will need a clip.

Last edited by rickyd; 09-19-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: 2nd thought.. more info
Old 09-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Door Pillar Cover Attachment

RickyD,

Thanks for the quick reply.. that's what I would have thought, but I already tried pushing on it and then giving it a pop with my fist, but it didn't seem to grab or snap back into place.

Didn't know if there was some type of clip that may be broken or if there was some type of glue used. I had the chrome around the driver window replaced last January, so I'm wondering if that's related (?) ... but, I wash & wax this car allot and I didn't notice anything until recently ???

Thanks again ... Tom

Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by wiscTom
RickyD,

Thanks for the quick reply.. that's what I would have thought, but I already tried pushing on it and then giving it a pop with my fist, but it didn't seem to grab or snap back into place.

Didn't know if there was some type of clip that may be broken or if there was some type of glue used. I had the chrome around the driver window replaced last January, so I'm wondering if that's related (?) ... but, I wash & wax this car allot and I didn't notice anything until recently ???

Thanks again ... Tom
well now that may have been..... that piece probobly had to be removed/ adjusted at that time... yes when washing, etc your notice would be on the shinny new chrome when in that area, not the pillar. got any pics??

rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 09-20-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but I looked up the door pillar covers in my 05 CTS service manual and they are held on by screws. There are 2 from inside the car and 2 inside the window track. You have to remove the door trim panel, inner window seal, window inner belt sealing strip and the window weatherstrip to access the screws! I thought maybe the SLS was similar. Good luck.
Mike.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM

FSM shows retainers. Says to remove carpet retainer first.

Last edited by EricD; 03-10-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies .. EricD ... what does FSM stand for ??Manual ...

If I'm understanding the picture correctly, it looks like you need to remove the interior driver door pillar carpeting and then you'll find some type of clips (retainers) that hold the outer pillar covers tight ??

Again, I really appreciate all the help ... I'll have to take a closer look at that interior carpeting, to see if it's something I can handle ... Tom

Underdog ... I hope it's not like your CTS attachment that seems a little beyond my talents

rickyD ... I'll see what happens and try to take a picture

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

FSM - Factory Service Manual

Procedure detail:

Garnish Molding Replacement - Center Pillar

1. Remove the rear carpet retainer. Refer to Carpet Retainer Replacement - Rear.
2. Pull out on the center pillar garnish molding to disengage the retainer clips.
3. Remove the center pillar garnish molding.

Carpet Retainer Replacement - Rear

1. Remove the front carpet retainer.
2. Using a J-38778 release the retainer clips from the rocker panel.
3. Lift the rear carpet retainer at the center pillar base to release the hooks from
the center pillar trim.
4. Remove the rear carpet retainer.
5. If the carpet retainer clips come off of the retainers, turn 90 degrees in the slot
and lift out of the slot.

The J-38778 is a basic retaining clip removal tool. Google J-38778 to see one.