General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Head Gaskets

Well, I did the easy part, I bought the head gaskets. The more I read online about replacing them, the more I wonder if I am in over my head. Can someone walk me through, step by step. It is a 79 olds 350 gas engine, in my Eldorado.

I was just planning on taking off the air cleaner case and start unhooking tubes and cords, then popping off the blue heads and replacing the gaskets, not using any gasket sealer and not tightening too tight, but I may need a torque wrench.

Also, if there is some other maintenance I can do, or cleaning solvent I should spray in or if there is something else I can adjust or mess with, while I have the heads off, I would like to do that.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfmansEldorado
Well, I did the easy part, I bought the head gaskets. The more I read online about replacing them, the more I wonder if I am in over my head. Can someone walk me through, step by step. It is a 79 olds 350 gas engine, in my Eldorado.

I was just planning on taking off the air cleaner case and start unhooking tubes and cords, then popping off the blue heads and replacing the gaskets, not using any gasket sealer and not tightening too tight, but I may need a torque wrench.

Also, if there is some other maintenance I can do, or cleaning solvent I should spray in or if there is something else I can adjust or mess with, while I have the heads off, I would like to do that.

WOOOOOOOO ! ! !

Is this a test? I was real good right up to the point where you said "planning on taking off the air cleaner case", then I crashed.

Next to piston and rod bearings, the heads are probably the most critical component and take tremendous stress and abuse at the rate of 3000+ times per minute .. that is about 50 times per second. Dont cut corners there.

The bearings and the heads take the brunt of each firing / explosion of fuel.

Please get a MANUAL .. a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL .. these WILL give you step by step .. and .. IF I may say it, dont skip any.

here are a few, some on paper, some on CD ...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...adillac+manual

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM

what'd be great is a step by step procedure with pictures. I got used to projects posted by members on forums on the goldwing motorcycle forums. Sure the books are great, but when you have someone post live pictures with step by step instructions and are able to chat back and forth with them, it's hard to compare. hence forum.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

Why do want to change them Olds engines rarely blow head gaskets?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

it's leaking, on the left side while you are the driver. Also I have a slight tap sound that I hope has to do with compression.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 PM

This first one is the left side, while in the driver's seat. It is puddlish where the arrow is pointing under the cable:

Name:  Leak1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  91.8 KB

right side, while sitting the driver's seat (not sure if that is the correct term for describing engine side):

Name:  Leak2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  95.9 KB

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Did you mean VALVE COVERS instead of HEADS ?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Stealth - yes, I was confused when you started talking about a tough job, the mechanic at aamco said valve cover gaskets and said it was easy. I got it in my head that it was head gaskets, my bad I'm burnt out rnow, i've got a friggin head cold.

Back to the store to return head gaskets for valve cover gaskets, thanks for clarification, I've only torn apart a small engine and that was in high school. I'm not fluent with part names, but I can take a picture.

Slowroll - thanks for the peace of mind about the olds engine and its usually reliable head gaskets.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

That is the valve cover gasket. Cork / neopreme gasket works best you will need weatherstrip adhesive to glue it to cover so it stays in place. Gasket will have 10 holes but will work on the 5 bolt valve cover. Rocker pivots for exhaust valves on left head near EGR valve tend to wear causing tapping noise. I believe heat from EGR causes push rods to sludge and restrict oil flow to those 2 rocker arms, so spray cleaner through push rods to make sure there clear, before re-assembling. Egr valve should be removed when replacing left valve cover.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WolfmansEldorado
Stealth - yes, I was confused when you started talking about a tough job, the mechanic at aamco said valve cover gaskets and said it was easy. I got it in my head that it was head gaskets, my bad I'm burnt out rnow, i've got a friggin head cold.

Back to the store to return head gaskets for valve cover gaskets, thanks for clarification, I've only torn apart a small engine and that was in high school. I'm not fluent with part names, but I can take a picture.

Slowroll - thanks for the peace of mind about the olds engine and its usually reliable head gaskets.

Hope everyone sees the difference in communications pictures can make sometimes.

very large difference between the valve covers and heads .. both cost and replacement.

hope you can get a refund and exchange.

I see slowroll gave you an install quick guide ...

welcome to our site ...

Quick Reply: Head Gaskets