General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

half the car dont work

Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Default half the car dont work

so okay i made a mistake i pulled the stock radio to put in a aftermarket deck and we couldnt figure out the wires my friend decided to cut the wires because we couldnt find a wiring harness and we decided to just give up because we couldnt get the aftermarket one to work and my driver side tail light stopped workin and my drivers side parking light and there are no dash lights. so i decided to just put the stock one back in so we reconnected the wires and now the stock headunit wont do nething it dont even light up and my lights still arent working

also this is in a 1994 cadillac deville concours

Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

when ever i am doing something like that i always take a picture of it before doing.... that way if it has to go back, i have a way to do it........ gee to bad for ya.... im sure your missing something........ first, disconnect neg - battery cable.... go back and relook at what was done...... make sure all connection are secure...... reconnect battery...... possibly the system needed a reboot.... good luck
rickyd

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by goodfella
so okay i made a mistake i pulled the stock radio to put in a aftermarket deck and we couldnt figure out the wires my friend decided to cut the wires because we couldnt find a wiring harness and we decided to just give up because we couldnt get the aftermarket one to work and my driver side tail light stopped workin and my drivers side parking light and there are no dash lights. so i decided to just put the stock one back in so we reconnected the wires and now the stock headunit wont do nething it dont even light up and my lights still arent working

also this is in a 1994 cadillac deville concours

cutting is never good.

you have either missed something or in the process of CUTTING, something got shorted, and FRIED ! I bet your friend did NOT disconnect the battery.

you are lucky the car runs at all.

u probably need to get an FSM and Electrical diagrams to diagnose this ...

Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM

well thanks for the attempt at help i got it all working again it was about six blown fuses i didnt know the radio affected so much stuff this cars are soo complicated

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by goodfella
well thanks for the attempt at help i got it all working again it was about six blown fuses i didnt know the radio affected so much stuff this cars are soo complicated

For the fuses to blow, the battery had to be connected during the process of cutting and/or splicing. As I stated, something got fried .. you are lucky it was only the fuses.

Glad to see that nothing else got fried and the car is back operational.