General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Cadillac crank sensors 2000 to 2003 - engine cuts out for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Default GM Cadillac crank sensors 2000 to 2003 - engine cuts out for no reason

I'm a new owner of a 2000 DeVille with 33,000 miles on it. It's beautiful. Runs like a dream. Bought it three weeks ago from a used car dealer. Love it.
HOWEVER, sporadically, sometimes once a day, rarely twice, sometimes only once every two or three days, the engine cuts out at lower rpm. Sitting at a light, coasting in a parking lot, even cruising at 30-35 mph a couple times. Engine cuts out with no warning, no coughing, no slowdown. Just instantly cuts out. Then it starts back up for me beautifully when I turn the key. First time it happened, the engine light came on, but it revealed no error codes. Since then, the light does not come on.
The dealer's mechanic checked it out. Observed a stall while he let it idle outside for a while, started right back up as usual. He put it on the computer, no codes, everything is perfect.
Mystified. Anybody experience this before?

============================

MOD Edit
Title

GM Cadillac crank sensors 2000 to 2003

Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: engine cuts out for no reason

hey nhoskin, welcome to the Forum, and sorry to hear 'bout the stalling-out. imo, sounds like fuel, fuel filter. suprised no codes though.... hang in, and one of the master tech will give you their thoughts. is everything elseok with your vehicle? if not, pleaselet us know so we can piece this together... good luck we'll follow up
rickyd

Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks rickyd. That's the weird thing. Other than the problem, it seems perfect. Love this car. Hoping for some insight, but I don't have much tech savvy. Suggestions much appreciated. Later

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Certified Members

Crank sensors have high failure rate from 2000-03 model years, most of the time sets code. Being you just bought car how much history can you find out about car? Were you at Cadillac dealer when tech experienced stall?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 PM

I don't have much history. Came from a neighboring state. Clean car fax, serviced religiously by previous owner at a dealer. I did not have it at a dealer, it was an independent service shop. Probably should take it to a dealer? Sorry, but, a crank sensor would be located where? electrical?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

2 of them front side of engine above oil filter adapter. You could check with your dealer see if they pay for Cadillac dealer to check it out. See what kind of warranty history you can get from local Cadillac dealer. Request VISS you may need registration to get it. Also check you legal standing if you find car is problem child before 30 days runs out. Hopefully its just something simple.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Where can I get info on high failure rate of crank sensors? My wife's 2003 Seville (70k miles) quit on a bridge - very dangerous - turned out to be the crank sensor. Don't want it to happen again. Have they corrected the design flaw to reduce future failures?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

It's not a design flaw, change in manufacturer of crank sensor. BELEIVE ME, NO ONE BUILTS ANYTHING TO FAIL. CADILLC WANTS YOU TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR CARS.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 PM

engnrng
When your wife's car failed from the crank sensor, was it dead? Or was she able to start it up again?

Old 02-03-2008, 01:08 AM

from nhoskin: When your wife's car failed from the crank sensor, was it dead? Or was she able to start it up again?

She called Onstar, they performed a diagnostic, found the error (and other error codes with the torque convertor, see below), and told her to stay where she was - no mention of trying a restart. She was told it would be 45 minutes, but she was quite concerned about 70 mph cars whizzing by inches from her door, so she tried a restart, it started right up as if nothing had happened. YAY!! She made it home, I drove it to the dealer the next day, no 2nd engine quit during that time.

from slowroll: It's not a design flaw, change in manufacturer of crank sensor. BELEIVE ME, NO ONE BUILTS ANYTHING TO FAIL. CADILLC WANTS YOU TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR CARS.

I am a professional engineer, and work for a manufacturer of custom application industrial trucks, and I understand very well the design and build process and the too frequent visitations from Murphy. However, if you know the crank sensor problems are due to a change in manufacturer, and if Cadillac has known that for more than a few weeks (car is nearly 5 years old), then I must conclude they are not the least bit interested in me or my wife or other owners of that vintagehaving a good experience. If that was what they wanted, they would have sent out a recall, or at least notified dealers to recommend to change the defective ones at the next service - NOT WAIT UNTIL IT FAILED AND HOPE NO ONE GETS KILLED. I am used to paying for defective parts with Cadillac - had to pay for my water pump replacement at 52,000 miles (bad seal design was replaced with a better seal design, according to Service Manager - 2,000 miles too late to be covered by warranty). The company I work for stands behind their products. We shall see what Cadillac says about a failed transmission at 70k miles (post under Transmission forum).

Quick Reply: GM Cadillac crank sensors 2000 to 2003 - engine cuts out for no reason