General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Default fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!

Hi everyone. nice to be aboard!!
I'm living in the UK and have always had Cads since I was 20 (now 46). My latest is a '68 Fleety. I bought her with fuel 'pump' probs. It has been fitted with a solid state Facet puroline pump. The vapour return pipe has been left dangling under the hood with a bolt in the end of it. When the iggy is turned on the pump knocks away then humms when the fuel is up. Air bubbles can be seen rising up in the glass filter at the same time as the gas. The car then starts and drives for a while then the pump starts knocking cos it's out of gas. No external leaks on the fuel line.I renewed all rubber fuel lines just incase. Main line is copper tube with only flexy pipe at either end. Now when I turn the iggy on the pump runs ok with no initial knocking which means I have fixed the air getting into the line prob but now fuel is pissing from the carb! Should the excess fuel that the pump is pumping be going back to the tank via the vapour return pipe? Am I now labouring the float needle valves beyond normal?? Please help- Sposed to be doing a wedding in her at the weekend!!!! Thanks, Kev.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!

Just a thought, I am assuming that has a Rochester Quadrajet on it. Make sure the fuel filter is in place, usually in the housing where the fuel line enters. You mention an inline filter but most quadrajets had filters in the housing too. Now that you have good fuel supply I am thinking maybe someone removed that filter and its just overloading, the filter would provide some resistance to the flow. Sometimes they are stone sometimes paper.I would suggest connecting the vapour lines too.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 AM

Thanks for your response.As I bought this car without the original pump,I have nowhere for the vapour line to go. I assume the original would've returned from the pump. I have no return pipe outlet on the facet pump.The inline filter was placed before the pump. It has now been changed to being inbetween the pump and the carb. The pump runs constantly while the iggy is on when the engine is not running,causing the carb to flood fuel from almost every orifice!I'm thinking either the float valves are shot or the pressure is too much for them.
regards, Kevin. (Rochester quadrajet,Yes).

Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 AM

Hey Kat,
Got the old girl running good at the weekend! Foreign body in the needle valve making it not close off proper. Adjusted float height and it seems to be holding up. Still don't know where to put vapour line.I've also got a component missing which means I have 3 vacuum pipes dangling. I have checked the 'Bible' and on the r.h. inner wheel well,mid way there should be a heat control valve. I've got a piece of copper pipe and 2 jubilee clips!!!!
One of the 3 pipes has vacuum while engine is running which means it's affecting the running. I've looked on ebay but I don't think it's the kinda part that's gonna be listed on there. Any ideas??
Regards, Kevin.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Plug the lines, you can use a large screw or bolt that threads into the line, a bit of silicone on the theads will help it seal.You can then tuck the lines in some where where the ends are not visible, cable ties or electrical tape can help here. For the line with vac***, you can also make a short plug and put it on the carb or manifold fitting so you eliminate one of those three lines. I had an old rochester that ran out of gas then it would barely start then stall, a few raps with the handle of a screw driver and I dislodged the float, never bothered me again.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

pretty hard to get support in the "member intro" section .. moving the thread ...

welcome to CadillacForum.com

Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Welcome to the Cadillac Forum!!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks Stealth! Not sure of my way round the site yet![sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Kat,
Done the line pluggin exercise. runs good now. It would be nice to have the proper part to plug those vac lines into tho! It's getting cold over here now and I think those littlesuckers (no pun intended), are alot to do with the fact I have no heat!! None of the vent flaps are operational and I guess it's all to do with this component being awol. Anyone got a spare heat control valve for a '68 Fleety??

Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I suggest searching on eBay. You can find a lot of good parts that way. Glad to hear she is running fine though, that is important. If you really need heat, here in Canada there are many aftermarket heaters that sit on the floor and run electrically from the cigar lighter outlet, they might solve your problem.I put an example below in that link, this one hard wires to the battery underhood.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Quick Reply: fuel probs on my 68 fleetwood!