General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fan/blower and wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Default fan/blower and wipers not working

I have a 96 Deville, which had sit for several months because I couldn't get it started. Right before it would not start, it kept saying to check engine and the last time I started it, there was a small "boom" like a little backfire sound from the engine. Then, I could not get it started. I live in a small town, and the local mechanic towed it and couldn't find why it wouldn't start. He jumped it and it started, after putting the battery on a charger. He replaced a fuel filter, and I drove it home. It started a few times, then everything was dead. I finally saved enough money to getthe mechanic to work on it again, and he replaced the starter. He found a huge mouse nest inside the engine, once he took the top off to replace the starter.
Now, the blower fan to the heater, defrost, etc. is not working and the windshield wipers won't come on either. I think last winter, the blower actually wasn't working very well, if at all, but the weather was nice, so I didn't really worry about it. If I recall correctly, he said there was juice going to the fan, but it wouldn't come on. He checked fuses and replaced a couple that didn't have anything to do with the problems. My antifreeze was very low, and he added quite a bit. He mentioned that mice could have chewed wires, but he didn't see any obvious ones. He also ran codes with his machine, and nothing was coming up.
I have an appointment with the Cadillac dealer service department next week, but was hoping someone could give me some advice if it might be something simple. My local mechanic is not that experienced with Cadillacs. Also, yesterday, a warning came on that said the AC compressor wasn't working, and it's refrigerant was low. (I am a woman, without much mechanical experience.) Thank you in advance for any advice.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Default RE: fan/blower and wipers not working

I forgot to mention that the lights to the climate control panel are not working either. I went out and tried to run the codes on it. the only current one is TC0037, which I think is a sensor on the brakes. They said there was no PCM, SDM or RSS codes. Several came up with History, IP1552, IP 2710, AC1348, PZ1558, IR2255, RF2560. I dont' really know what I am doing running these...I tried to run the data under the IP1552 codes and got tons of info such as 2.5 Lo Bk Fl IPD04, ) SWC IP D05, 37 TWDLPT IP D07,a nd a bunch more, but I guess I better leave that to someone who knows what they all mean. Again, any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks..I'll check back soon.