General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumbfounded: Cadillac CTS windows, trunk, seats, locks, alarm & CD dont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

AllData says you need a scam tool for ANY codes. No mention of using the On Board to get codes.
Autozone will scan it for free, but they may not have the intelligence to check ALL of the modules for codes.
You probably have a problem with the BCM(body control module), but I would certainly see if there were any codes stored anywhere first.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
AllData says you need a scam tool for ANY codes. No mention of using the On Board to get codes.
Autozone will scan it for free, but they may not have the intelligence to check ALL of the modules for codes.
You probably have a problem with the BCM(body control module), but I would certainly see if there were any codes stored anywhere first.

i bet you didnt mean that !

Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

The tool is what it is....the INTEGRITY of the operator is what counts. Unfortunately auto parts stores don't normally have scanner to read other than ECM / P-codes, some may have scanner able read ABS codes. The component indicated by the code is not always the cause, with out diagnosis throwing parts at problem is guessing with money.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Certified Members

slowroll, do you know if there a list of Cadillac/GM vehicles that are equiped with on board diagnostics and code ability?
i love the system on the Allante, but i'm sure that is not available on most cars.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Red face dumbfoundedagain

I will go to Autozone to see if they can help or even know what my problem is. After that I guess I'll need to see a Caddy dealer or maybe my local family friendly mechanic.
Thanks guys.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by stomper
Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
i bet you didnt mean that !

actually...that's just my Archie Bunker mentality showing...
I also call injectors "infectors"....
I just assume most folks understand...some do, some don't. It's usually good for a laugh, if nothing else.

The AutoZones around here have, in the past, scanned complete modules, ABS, Body, Suspension, etc. Perhaps not all of them do. I have found the info from the OBD/Climate control to give more thorough info/codes than anything other than the Tech scanner, especially once you get out of the PCM, or ABS systems.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

On-Board = 80-81 DFI HT4100 and 6.0 including 8-6-4, limited - access is different you will need manual for sure.
82-85 - HT4100 Eldo, Seville, and DeVille / Fleetwood (RWD)- engine only
85-93 - Deville / Fleetwood (FWD) Engine / Body system codes
94-95 - Deville / Concours - enhanced On-Board - for multiple systems.
96-05 - DEVILLE / Concours / DTS / DHS - Codes access to some systems.
86-95 Eldo / Seville / Allante' enhanced On-Board - for multiple systems.
96-04 Eldo / Seville - Codes access to some systems.
93-95 Fleetwood - limited On-Board - Different than the DFI
NO- On-Board - Cimmaron, DTS,CTS, STS, Catera, EFI (80 and earlier port fuel injection), XLR, 86-92 RWD Brougham, and SUVs. On-board faded away as models updated after 1998 model year.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Cadillac/GM vehicles that are equiped with on board diagnostics

nice piece of info !

Originally Posted by stomper
slowroll, do you know if there a list of Cadillac/GM vehicles that are equiped with on board diagnostics and code ability?
i love the system on the Allante, but i'm sure that is not available on most cars.

Originally Posted by slowroll
On-Board = 80-81 DFI HT4100 and 6.0 including 8-6-4, limited - access is different you will need manual for sure.
82-85 - HT4100 Eldo, Seville, and DeVille / Fleetwood (RWD)- engine only
85-93 - Deville / Fleetwood (FWD) Engine / Body system codes
94-95 - Deville / Concours - enhanced On-Board - for multiple systems.
96-05 - DEVILLE / Concours / DTS / DHS - Codes access to some systems.
86-95 Eldo / Seville / Allante' enhanced On-Board - for multiple systems.
96-04 Eldo / Seville - Codes access to some systems.
93-95 Fleetwood - limited On-Board - Different than the DFI
NO- On-Board - Cimmaron, DTS,CTS, STS, Catera, EFI (80 and earlier port fuel injection), XLR, 86-92 RWD Brougham, and SUVs. On-board faded away as models updated after 1998 model year.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Default dumbfoundedagain

I just had the Caddy dealer do a scam test (for Free) as I watched and they said that the BCM may be causing the problem. If that's the case does anyone know how much that may cost? And would my local friendly mechanic be able to fix it.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Certified Members

Dealer will have to do it - modules have to be programmed. They should have provided you with estimate. Also if they diagnose it and replace a module and problem is still there, they should be able to take back without charging you for it as they re-evaluate car. Being radio has a known problem and Driver Info Center is part of it; I would replace it 1st. My thought is to correct known problems 1st, before moving on to suspected/possiblely failed parts. Of cource I don't know what tech saw on Tech2 during free scan test.

Quick Reply: dumbfounded: Cadillac CTS windows, trunk, seats, locks, alarm & CD dont work