General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTS Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Default DTS Stereo Installation

I'm new to the site so let me thank everyone who responds and helps me out in advance. I havea 2001 DTS and am in the process of putting an aftermarket stereo in. I already have all the pieces im looking to install but have elected to let someone do it professionally after reading some of the posts on this website and hearing what a nightmare these cars are to work with. Anyway....I already have installed a Panasonic 7" DVD monitor in the dash using the GMOS-06 wiring harness. As predicted from most on this site......it cuts out the audio when my chime is on or my back up sensors or low fuel etc. But it will also just randomly cut out while driving down the road by losing all power and then turning back on all by itself. Is this also normal??? I have 4 Infinity Kappa 5 1/4's for the doors and 2 12's for the trunk. After reading this forum I was under the impression that since im replacing the door speakers, new wires must be run to work properly. But when i mentioned this to the guy at the stereo place, he said thats not necessary. I'd like to believe the members on this site but just need someone to reassure me. And alsowill this fix my problem with the audio cutting out?? And I haven't purchased new tweeters yet will this cause a problem?? Hope someone can help me out as I've had this equipment for about a month already and am dying to get it bumpin!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Default RE: DTS Stereo Installation

well if you are running not on BOSE right now, you dont need new wiring, however those aftermarket Kappa's will sound the best with their own seperate 4 channel amp so they sound more like they should, your indash dvd won't have enough power to feed them, maybe 4 X 60 max. To make it sound good with the subs and the speakers you're going to need an amp for the speakers and an amp for the subs. You don't have to use an amp for the speakers and you can just run them off of the wires you have now, but they won't sound as good without an amp. You might need an equalizer if you decide to run 2 amps.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks NAFTA I do have the factory BOSE now. And I do have an amp for the subs....a Phoenix Gold 300.2. Even though the JL's can handle way more....my buddy said they will sound good with that amp. I'm not too concerned with super loud anyway i just want clean sounding bass. And I decided I am going to amp the speakers.....picked up a 4 channel Rockford Fosgate today. You are right my deck only puts out 60x4 so im sure the Kappas will eat up the extra wattage. Any idea about the cutting out issue???? Like I said I expected it to cut out with the door chime and back up sensors etc......but the random powering off has me concerned. Will it reside once all the speakers are replaced with new wires run???? Also has anyone used the steering wheel control interface to retain the steering wheel controls....I also purchased that and I'm wondering if I should be prepared for any issues with it. Thanks again!!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Idk about the cd turning off everytime you turn off the car, my ETC does the same thing. I think it's because when you start the car it takes all the power from the battery for the starter and it turns everything else off for the moment. Mine can't keep memory of the spot on the cd or preset stations either. I'm not too sure if you have the BOSE headunit, but from what I've heard you're going to have to run new wires from your new headunit to the speakers. But since you said you want a seperate amp for the speakers you'll need to run wires from the speaker to the amp, which im guessing is gonna be in the trunk. This way the only output from the headunit you need is a L & R input to the amp, and from that amp you can run it to another amp like you said for the subs. I think the steering wheel control works with the BOSE only, but I'm not sure. I personaly don't like BOSE too much because it really doens't like being ****ed with too much, pardon my french lol good luck

Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear....the cd retains memory of where its at and everything the unit complety just powers off while im driving and then will power itself back on and pick up the song where it cut off at. Sometimes it will power off for 10 sec......sometimes as long as a minute. And during that time there is no power at all to the receiver....even if I try to hit the power button nothing happens. I did have the bose headunit but like I said now I have a 7" Panasonic DVD receiver.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 PM

idk why it does that, maybe the constant power source they gave it turned out to be something in the car that turns off and goes back on. it's probably spliced into something that has some sort of relay on it while driving. you might have to rewire the constant power to the headunit to another constant on the car. other than that i'm not sure. we have diffrent model cars but things shouldnt be too diffrent. cadillacs don't like to be messed with when it comes to all that.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM

So the stereo is installed and the verdict is...............nightmare. For one thing they couldn't figure out the power cutting out issue. On top of that, 3 blocks after pulling away from the place the steering wheel controls stopped working...only to work again and then quit for good. Oh yeah andI did I mention the fact that crutchfield states my car takes 5 1/4's all the way around in the doors..so the guy calls me and tells me... I return them for 6 1/2's only to find that its actually 6 1/2's in front and 5 1/4's in rear....f#$%^n GM. So I just stuck with the 6 1/2's and they cut the rear door for them to fit. So then the second day after getting the car back.... I go to power it on and only the rear speakers are on. After about 2 or 3 minutes the fronts and tweeters kick on......then the subs after about 5 or 10. Any ideas???? Never heard of this. It only happens first thing in the morning and then they usually run fine the rest of the day, although the subs have kicked off then back on once or twice. The place said they will address it when they install the new steering wheel module but since it only happens in the morning so it hasn't been like that when i take it there. My boy who does this for a living thinks it could possibly be my receiver but i didn't have an isssue with speakers cutting out before the new speakers and subs went in so I dont buy it.Any help i appreciate cause the stereo sounds damn good when its all working.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm supposing all this is hooked up to an amp, maybe it's the amp that's causing the problem or how everything is wired to it.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:10 AM

where are you located at???
i could fix it id bet

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 AM

I'm located in Erie, PA. My boy said he thinks they just cut out the old speakers and tied the new ones in on the existing wires and then connected the factory amp to the new amps. I was under the imperssion from what I had read on here that each speaker had an amp right with the speakers which wasn't the case in mine. I even specified to the guy at the stereo place that I had read you HAVE to run new wires to each speaker but he insisted against it. Nevertheless when working I was more than satisfied with the way the stereo sounded. I've also noticed lately that the subs occasionally cut out for a few seconds but this only happened maybe a dozen times that ive noticed. But mixed in with all the other issues and this thing has my ready to choke someone.

Quick Reply: DTS Stereo Installation