General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Drain & Refill 2003 Deville

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Question Coolant Drain & Refill 2003 Deville

I recall a previous post from a GM engineer talking about the limp home mode of the northstar. I think he mentioned he had driven a caddy with a northstar 50 miles after removing all coolant. Tore the engine down and found no damage. With this in mind why not run the engine briefly while draining the coolant? Wouldn't this force more coolant out. Considering I can only get one gallon out by gravitational pull alone, I am considering this on my next drain and fill. Also, If I use the water hose to flush with no pressure, there will still be approx. 9 qts of water in the engine when i begin the coolant refill. If the GM engineer is still out there, I would like to know his or her thoughts on this.

ORIGINAL POST
I just finished first coolant drain and refill on my 2003 cadillac with 56,000 miles. I used dex-cool 50/50. The old coolant looked as good as the new coolant. I had the front end raised on ramps to remove the splash panel. I could only get 4 qts of coolant to come out ( had the resovoir cap off and petcock completely removed). Thought more coolant would come out if I lowered the front end so I got off the ramps and with car level still only 4 qts. came out. I refilled the 4 qts. ran the engine about 45 minutes to circulate he coolant and drained again only 4 qts. I refilled with another fresh gallon of Dex-cool probably wasting $15.00. I did not use any pellets. I spoke to local cadillac service advisor. He said they do not use them on my model car. MY QUESTION is 4 qts normal and adequate. When should I drain and refill again. I don't use the commercial flushing machines because my last car a 1991 Buick park avenue went through 6 heater cores in 18 months. The first core started leaking 3 days after having the system flushed at local shop.

Last edited by tommy; 09-24-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Additional Info & Question
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 AM

I recall a previous post from a GM engineer talking about the limp home mode of the northstar. I think he mentioned he had driven a caddy with a northstar 50 miles after removing all coolant. Tore the engine down and found no damage. With this in mind why not run the engine briefly while draining the coolant? Wouldn't this force more coolant out. Considering I can only get one gallon out by gravitational pull alone, I am considering this on my next drain and fill. Also, If I use the water hose to flush with no pressure, there will still be approx. 9 qts of water in the engine when i begin the coolant refill. If the GM engineer is still out there, I would like to know his or her thoughts on this.

ORIGINAL POST
I just finished first coolant drain and refill on my 2003 cadillac with 56,000 miles. I used dex-cool 50/50. The old coolant looked as good as the new coolant. I had the front end raised on ramps to remove the splash panel. I could only get 4 qts of coolant to come out ( had the resovoir cap off and petcock completely removed). Thought more coolant would come out if I lowered the front end so I got off the ramps and with car level still only 4 qts. came out. I refilled the 4 qts. ran the engine about 45 minutes to circulate he coolant and drained again only 4 qts. I refilled with another fresh gallon of Dex-cool probably wasting $15.00. I did not use any pellets. I spoke to local cadillac service advisor. He said they do not use them on my model car. MY QUESTION is 4 qts normal and adequate. When should I drain and refill again. I don't use the commercial flushing machines because my last car a 1991 Buick park avenue went through 6 heater cores in 18 months. The first core started leaking 3 days after having the system flushed at local shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tommy; Today at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional Info & Question